• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

e6600 vs q6600 vs e8400

BIWMirage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
240
Hey everyone,

I currently have a DFI mobo with an AMD FX-53 proc in it and am thinking about upgrading my proc to either a q6600 and e8400 or an e6600. The reason for the e6600 being on this list is that my roommate is selling a used one for $50, it is only a year or so old. I was going to go with the DFI Lanpary DK P35-T2RS or the P45 T2RS for a mobo. Any recommendations?

PS I game a little and know that the e8400 is better for that, but based on the way I have been upgrading, I am undecided if it is worth it to hold onto the q6600 (the e6600 is just a really cheap option).

Thanks!
 
You gonna have to do some searching and read the other million threads on here on this issue and decide for yourself...i went through this dilemma a few months ago and i went with the Q6600 and im happy running along just fine at 3.6, but the e8400 would have gotten a higher clock, sse4.1 and lower heat power consumption...a quad is great for multitasking and people that dont upgrade as often, but if your mainly a gamer then a highly clocked dual might be your solution...get some reading in...you have a lot ahead of you.

And both those boards are great, i have the P35, but id get the p45 if i had the choice now, better cooling, better chipset.

peace
 
What motherboard is/was your roommate running the e6600 on? Did it overclock well? If your roommate is cool with it maybe he will let you "test" it first and see how well it overclocks. If you can get a decent overclock out of it then for $50 that is a great deal but if it is just a mediocre overclocker then a new good chip should be able to get you a lot farther.

About the e8400 vs q6600, consider that all of the new i7's that are coming out are quad core; how do you think future games/apps will be optimized?
 
Thanks for the insight. I have done a fair amount of reading on the subject of q6600 vs the e8400. The e6600 came up a few times but mostly people were looking to upgrade from it. In response to his OC, he has it 3ghz with stock cooling right now. It is on the Asus P5E-VM HDMI board. He offered to sell me the board, processor and 2GB of DRR2 800 ram for $175. The ram is cheap (one of the cheapest he could find according to him) but it seems like a good price...
 
Thanks for the insight. I have done a fair amount of reading on the subject of q6600 vs the e8400. The e6600 came up a few times but mostly people were looking to upgrade from it. In response to his OC, he has it 3ghz with stock cooling right now. It is on the Asus P5E-VM HDMI board. He offered to sell me the board, processor and 2GB of DRR2 800 ram for $175. The ram is cheap (one of the cheapest he could find according to him) but it seems like a good price...

$175 huh now that's slightly less of a great deal if he was going to sell you the cpu for $50. 2gb of ddr2 800 can be bought new for less than $20, so he's basically charging you $100 for that mobo, where a brand new one is like $120.
All in all you might wanna take him up on it. Its a complete combo. You could always drop another 2gb in there for $20 and then have yourself a decent cheap system. 3Ghz with stock cooling is encouraging and if you wanted to push the OC there could be several hundred Mhz still available for you. A small investment in something like this could find you in the mid 3Ghz neighborhood if you wanted to try to push it.

I don't know what you mean by I game a little but that cpu is more than enough for a little gaming. It will pair well with something like a HD4850 if you wanted to game more than a little ;)
 
Yea, I should have jumped on it. He ended up selling the HTPC as a whole this afternoon and so the deal is gone. Oh well, I wasn't entirely thrilled about the mobo anyways... Thanks for the info though. I think I more or less just want to mess with my computer and as it is 3 years old, the only thing to do right now is upgrade. I currently have an x1800xt for my graphics card, so while it too is 3 years old, my processor is the thing that should be upgraded first though, and I am a litte strapped for coin. Guess if I keep trying to decide what I want to do, Nehalem will be out. :)
 
Yea, I should have jumped on it. He ended up selling the HTPC as a whole this afternoon and so the deal is gone. Oh well, I wasn't entirely thrilled about the mobo anyways... Thanks for the info though. I think I more or less just want to mess with my computer and as it is 3 years old, the only thing to do right now is upgrade. I currently have an x1800xt for my graphics card, so while it too is 3 years old, my processor is the thing that should be upgraded first though, and I am a litte strapped for coin. Guess if I keep trying to decide what I want to do, Nehalem will be out. :)

What are you going to upgrade? What can you upgrade?
I would not pump more parts or $$ into your old rig as it is a dead end.
None of your main parts would port over to a new build either, not cpu, not mobo, not ram, not gpu, probably not PSU. You could maybe do some optical drives and various who-ha like that. You need to tough it out with what you got until you can make a new rig.
Now having said that it is very possible to make a new system thats moderately decent for close to $500. I did that myself. E7x00, GigabyteP45, 4gb ddr2 800, Earthwatts 650 and a gpu would be your guts.
 
I have a corsair PSU that a purchased last year to replace my Antec one. It is 620w so that should be fine for now. I was going to replace my mobo, cpu and ram for the time being. that would leave hdds, gpu, the odds and ends and the psu which should be fine. Does that sound like a good idea, or is the x1800xt really that dated already? It is a
512MB version.
 
as someone earlier said..

if you need high freq -> e8400
if you need more cores -> q6600

make sure you get the g0 stepping for q6600
 
I have a corsair PSU that a purchased last year to replace my Antec one. It is 620w so that should be fine for now. I was going to replace my mobo, cpu and ram for the time being. that would leave hdds, gpu, the odds and ends and the psu which should be fine. Does that sound like a good idea, or is the x1800xt really that dated already? It is a
512MB version.

What size display do you have? Thats going to be significant for your gpu selection.
To be very frank your x1800xt might be 512mb but its not going to serve you very well in anything resembling FC2, COD4/5, FO3 and certainly not either Crysis.
I get the impression you might be looking for a budget build as well? Make no mistake for less than $300 you can step into a very respectable C2D set up. E72/7300 around $120. P45 mobo $100-120 and 4gb of ddr2 $50. This is not top of the line but for $300 its damn good. If you have a bigger budget by all means you can make the move to an E8x00 or Q6600 for another $50-60. GPU wise again your resolution is going to be a key there. The best value for a pretty high end gaming card is the HD4850. Less than $150 and works very well when paired with the C2D or Quad and resolutions 1920x1200 or less.

So in for less than $450 you could basically have yourself a rig which would play any title released this year pretty darn well.
 
That is really good. I have 20.1" LCD that does 1680x1050. You are right that I am on a budget. LOL, I am graduating college in a few months, and really shouldn't be upgrading at all, but once the bug hits, it cannot be satisfied till I get to mess around with my comp. Last time it hit, I managed to quell it by buying the P182 and the new PSU but this time I think I should upgrade a little bit. Do you think that the e7200 would be decent enough? I can get an openbox e8400 for $119.96 at microcenter (supposedly the warranty is not as good, but I would imagine that the manufacturer's warranty is the same). That is a damn good deal for that processor. Which mobo would you buy? I really like DFI but those boards are quite a bit more than $120 for a P45. I think I will get the 4GB of $50 G.Skill on Newegg. Thanks for all the help btw, it is greatly appreciated. :)
 
That is really good. I have 20.1" LCD that does 1680x1050. You are right that I am on a budget. LOL, I am graduating college in a few months, and really shouldn't be upgrading at all, but once the bug hits, it cannot be satisfied till I get to mess around with my comp. Last time it hit, I managed to quell it by buying the P182 and the new PSU but this time I think I should upgrade a little bit. Do you think that the e7200 would be decent enough? I can get an openbox e8400 for $119.96 at microcenter (supposedly the warranty is not as good, but I would imagine that the manufacturer's warranty is the same). That is a damn good deal for that processor. Which mobo would you buy? I really like DFI but those boards are quite a bit more than $120 for a P45. I think I will get the 4GB of $50 G.Skill on Newegg. Thanks for all the help btw, it is greatly appreciated. :)

E7200 is a really good processor for how much it is. I was able to hit 3.8ghz without even trying on a Biostar TP45HP at 1.29v.

If you can get an E8400 for $120 then Id def do that lol....thats a steal.
 
Thanks for the info on the e7200. That one is $88 openbox. I need to call them and make sure that their warranty is still applicable. If so, I think I would go with the e8400.
 
In this case I say go for your roommate's e6600. I mean come on... its $50!!!

Overclock it more or ebay it off for profits.
 
I waited too long unfortunately... He sold the whole computer instead of parting it. Worked out well for him, sold it for 550.
 
The E7x00 series are really good cpus and they OC like champs. I got my e7200 to 3.6Ghz and you can see others are doing even better. Having said that the e8x00 series doubles the cache which makes it that much better. If you trust it an openbox e8x00 at the price of a retail NIB e7x00 is a good deal. Just remember to get a decent after market cooler.
 
Yea. I think I will. The Openbox cpu has a 90 day warranty but still has its manufacturer's warranty as well. Probably will end up with the e8400, the GA-EP45-UD3P, TRUE and 4gigs of OCZ DDR2 1000. Should run around 320 or so. :) Thanks for all your help!
 
Back
Top