E6600 Overclock - Need Advice.

Dark_Legacy

Limp Gawd
My E6600 is currently running at 3.0 GHz with a FSB of 1334 MHz, and RAM at 1000 MHz.

I've used Arctic Silver 5 as the thermal compound and a Cooler Master aftermarket LGA775 Cooler.

Here are the temperatures;

Temperatures
CPU 47 °C (117 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 55 °C (131 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 55 °C (131 °F)
Aux 29 °C (84 °F)
GPU 43 °C (109 °F)
GPU Diode 52 °C (126 °F)
GPU Ambient 34 °C (93 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1103 RPM
GPU 2336 RPM (42%)

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.41 V
Aux 2.99 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+5 V 5.56 V
+12 V 10.52 V
+5 V Standby 5.02 V
VBAT Battery 3.01 V
GPU Vcc 3.35 V

My question is: Is it adviseable to overclock further, or is my CPU hot enough as it is?

When asking for help. Let us know the setup. Now you failed to mention just what motherboard you are running this processor on, you said nothing of the memory you ate using. you did not tell us what psu that only puts out just over 10v on the 12 volt line you are using. Shouldn't that alone tell you something? you did not tell us what tool you are using to come up with those cpu temps. If you used intel's TAT that would be nice to know. I assume those were idle temps? If so you need a better cooling solution. At only 1.4 volts you should be idling in the 30's. you see you really did not give us any info at all.
So helping you or giving you advice is going to be a tough chore. But I'll try.

Never marry a woman you meet in a bar after midnight.
Don't take any wooden nickels

Oh and here are some words to live by

The work is hard
The pay is small
But, if you don't work
You get no pay at all

Well I hope this helps you with your overclocking problems. Good luck

WZ

The C2D is rated by Intel to be good until 85C as reported by their software or CoreTemp.
http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Most users with a properly ventilated case should never get near 85C even with the Intel OEM heatsink / fan combo.

Most C2D heat issues are because users don't make sure their heatsink is properly seated during installation.

You're good for another 500 MHz to 600 MHz before you have to worry too much.

WeldZilla said:
When asking for help. Let us know the setup. Now you failed to mention just what motherboard you are running this processor on, you said nothing of the memory you ate using. you did not tell us what psu that only puts out just over 10v on the 12 volt line you are using. Shouldn't that alone tell you something? you did not tell us what tool you are using to come up with those cpu temps. If you used intel's TAT that would be nice to know. I assume those were idle temps? If so you need a better cooling solution. At only 1.4 volts you should be idling in the 30's. you see you really did not give us any info at all.
So helping you or giving you advice is going to be a tough chore. But I'll try.

Never marry a woman you meet in a bar after midnight.
Don't take any wooden nickels

Oh and here are some words to live by

The work is hard
The pay is small
But, if you don't work
You get no pay at all

Well I hope this helps you with your overclocking problems. Good luck

WZ

PSU: CORSAIR 520HX (520W)
Motherboard: eVGA 680i
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) 5-5-5-15 2.2V
Monitoring Application: Everest Ultimate Edition

jcll2002 said:
with that rig i would DEFINITELY get a different, better hsf

Here's the HSF I installed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103001

The reason being that I read reports that the Zalman 9500 was extraordinarily hard to install on the eVGA 680i due to the pins on the underside of the motherboard touching the backing plate, and that one had to use a dremel to shave off the plate or something like that. Being that I don't have a dremel tool and I don't quite like the idea of using a powerdrill in the first place, I decided to opt out for this cooler master Intel stock mimic.

never even heard of that one. will a thermalright hr1 (think thats the name) or scythe work?

jcll2002 said:
never even heard of that one. will a thermalright hr1 (think thats the name) or scythe work?

In all respects, this heatsink is cooling damned well compared to my old case.

I ran a Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz with a stock cooler and stock grease, and it ran about 60C on idle. Seeing my temperature at 20C without overclocking made me think that the sensor was broken.

Well you are for sure idling way too hot!!
Still you need to download and run TAT from intel.
I am, kinda baffled by the corsair psu. They have been just solid but, yours only making 10.52 volts on the 12volts rail is just way off. If that is correct you need to RMA that psu for another. If you were overclocked to 3600 or higher and under full load your psu should not fall below 11.69volts ever!! My enermax liberty never ever ever moves load or no load not on the 12volt rails. yours really should not either. This is no doubt a part of your problem. And heat is your other issue. For fine tuning details on your 680I I would say go visit. Extremesystems forums. They have covered about every issue with those boards.
here is but one thread over there you should read. There are many more
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124363

Time to RMA that PSU. Get it all cooler

WZ

a computer shouldn't even function if it is 10v...

i think its a bad reading. what does your motherboard tools say?

also you shouldn't rely on everest for temps on a C2D machine. Get CoreTemp and/or Intel Thermal Analysis Tool.

With a 3ghz overclock and ambient temp of 22C you should be at about mid 30C's idle.

This is mine:
idle3336ek4.jpg

orthos3336ht7.jpg

Those temperatures are rather high for the speed you are running.

1st thing you need to do is buy a new CPU cooler:

Tuniq Tower 120
Thermalright Ultra 120
Scythe Infinity

And, why are you using 1.41V? Did you try lower and failed?

If you haven't tried this yet, set the CPU voltage to 1.325 or 1.375 and see how you do. If you have a good CPU, 1.41 might be too much for just 3.0ghz.

orion23 said:
Those temperatures are rather high for the speed you are running.

1st thing you need to do is buy a new CPU cooler:

Tuniq Tower 120
Thermalright Ultra 120
Scythe Infinity

And, why are you using 1.41V? Did you try lower and failed?

If you haven't tried this yet, set the CPU voltage to 1.325 or 1.375 and see how you do. If you have a good CPU, 1.41 might be too much for just 3.0ghz.

Scythe Infinity sounds like a good bet, I'll probably get that.

55C seems a tad high to me, but in the ballpark. Right now I'm doing a bit of tweaking, but I have my E6300 @ 1.3875 at 32.GHz (460x7, 1840 FSB) with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (max fan @ 2700rpm), and it's running at 55C according to CoreTemp and Everest. When I had the fan at PWM control, it ran at around 1800rpm and had temps around 60C at 1.4V. So 55C for a chip pushed slightly slower, but with more cache doesn't seem that high to me.

There has been a lot of confusion with C2D maximun core temperature. Around the time they were released most people thought it was 61.4 when in actual fact it is 85C when you "start" to do damage.

If you run TAT (as in not idle) and are 75C less on the hottest of days then you are fine. This allows 10C for headroom, however lower is always nicer of course just not "necessary".

I agree with above, try setting the core manually to 1.35 in the bios not "Auto", as most boards will set the Vcore to what it thinks you need. I personally run my C2D [email protected] and under volt (1.3V) and it works a treat.

Here are the updated voltages from inside of the BIOS's system monitor.

Core: 1.40V
FSB: 1.38V
Mem: 1.86V
+3.3V: 3.28V
+3.3V Dual: 3.3V
5V: 4.91V
12V: 11.98V
VBat: 2.98V

Tat reports temperatures of 45C.

tempsts1.jpg

Why so high of a core voltage? Most of the E6600s that i see running at 3GHz(mine included) run at default voltage or lower. Mine runs at 1.28 something all day long. Temps using a Koolance unit hover about 32C/30C in 70C weather.

KENNYB said:
Why so high of a core voltage? Most of the E6600s that i see running at 3GHz(mine included) run at default voltage or lower. Mine runs at 1.28 something all day long. Temps using a Koolance unit hover about 32C/30C in 70C weather.

HAHA 70C weather. Is 32/30C idle temp?

superballz00 said:
mines stock and cpuz saids 1.216 so 1.25v i guess.

How exactly do I 'max out the speed' with stock vcore?

I'm very sorry on my part of being completely clueless on overclocking, voltages, and such.

Edit: I'm currently reading the 680i manual on overclocking. I'm a fast learner so it should absorb throughly.

well from your earlier post i saw that u were able to get 417 FSB on 667mhz ram. thats pretty nice. so now start with stock voltage 1.25v and set multiplier back to 9 and fSB to 333 and see if it'll boot. that should be 3.0ghz at stock voltage. if that boots then u can try raising the FSB up some more, maybe to 350.

Stock voltage for an E6600 is 1.325V. If your mobo is only giving it 1.2V that would be a problem.

Make sure you disable Speedstep and all those unnecessary CPU features.

superballz00 said:
HAHA 70C weather. Is 32/30C idle temp?

That's what my thermostat says :D

Yes, it is idling at 32C for core1, 30C for core2 on water with the CPU undervolted. After cleaning out my dirty filthy radiator my temps finally dropped to something acceptable (from 42C/40C).

The reading were taking using...ugh Core something. It's been a LONG week :D

Well, some strange stuff has been going on.

I changed voltage to 1.325V, Core Clock to 3.15GHz.

FSB is now 350/1400, RAM is actually at 1000MHz now and not at 800MHz.

But, the temperatures are much lower.

CPU Temp is sticking a solid 45C full load, and around 40C idle.

Just like we have been saying, you might be using too much Vcore for a 3ghz overclock.

If you have a good chip, it can do even more with 1.325.

Try 401 FSB and see what happens...

No go? then try 1.375 or 1.4V

Your CPU looks good, so it might just do 3.6ghz with 1.4V or less.....

Go for it!

orion23 said:
Just like we have been saying, you might be using too much Vcore for a 3ghz overclock.

If you have a good chip, it can do even more with 1.325.

Try 401 FSB and see what happens...

No go? then try 1.375 or 1.4V

Your CPU looks good, so it might just do 3.6ghz with 1.4V or less.....

Go for it!

My system did 3.6GHz with 1.4V but temperatures went too high.

I'm currently sitting at 1.4V on 3.4GHz with 55C Idle and 70C Full Load.

I think my setup with 1.325V on 3.2GHz was better.

By the way. 1.375V hosed my system when I changed FSB to 401. I had to do a CMOS reset.

Back