E6600 OC help

I'm trying to get the most out of my e6600. I had a stable 2.8GHz for a while, and I want to push it further.

Right now
I have the FSB QDR up to 1345, and the vCore at 1.41250 in the BIOS, and nforce SSP at 1.3 volts.

It's booting into windows fine, but ORTHOS runs for about 19 seconds before halting. Idle temps right now are 24/28.

should I give it some more volts? how much more?

Try to put volts on Auto

I run my E6300 1.86Ghz @ 3.15 Ghz at auto voltages and have no problems ;)
Also dont forget to decrease memory multiplier :)

Last edited:
That VCore may be too high. Isn't VMax for E6600 1.35V?

To make sure, reduce it to 1.3V and find the maximum stable frequency you can get.
Then, go up to 1.32V and find the maximum frequency again. The max frequency with 1.32V must be higher than with 1.3V.

Gradually increase the voltage and find the max stable frequency at each setting.
Eventually, you may reach a point where increasing the voltage will not help. There is no point to increase it any more.

Try to put volts on Auto

I run my E6300 1.86Ghz @ 3.15 Ghz at auto voltages and have no problems ;)
Also dont forget to decrease memory multiplier :)

ok. tried that. rebooted ok, and seems to be stable so far. cpu-z is reading 1.424V on the vcore now. Idle temps are about 29/32. Looks like load temps are 42/43. (Although the ambient temp of the room is slightly warmer too than it was before.) also, v droop is at a stable 1.408V

I have the ram set at a 1:1 ratio, so right now is running slower than it's rated speed, (I think? (333.3 MHz x2 = 666 MHz. (its rated ddr2 800, so I should have room to oc my cpu much more)) this is my best understanding of ocing so far)

That VCore may be too high. Isn't VMax for E6600 1.35V?

To make sure, reduce it to 1.3V and find the maximum stable frequency you can get.
Then, go up to 1.32V and find the maximum frequency again. The max frequency with 1.32V must be higher than with 1.3V.

Gradually increase the voltage and find the max stable frequency at each setting.
Eventually, you may reach a point where increasing the voltage will not help. There is no point to increase it any more.

From what I've been reading, 1.5V seems to be the upper ranges. I've seen a few setups with 1.55-1.6V

Thanks for the help so far. I think I should be able to hit 3.2-3.6 GHz on air from what I have read. I guess I'll just keep the voltage on auto for now, gradually bump up the fsb and check for stability on each step up. Is this the best method? Anyone else have any input?

Back