• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E6600 & CPU-Z Readings: Something wrong here?

I3eyond

Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
937


Shouldn't the Core Speed be at 2400 Mhz??



Shouldn't DRAM frequency be at 800Mhz?
 
Speedstep drops the multiplier when the system is idle. As you see in the picture it is at x6 instead of the normal x9.

Great way to save power, run cooler, etc. and really no performance difference as it revs up instantly when needed. If you do some other things with CPUZ open you will see it go up and down. You can disable it in the BIOS, usually called Speedstep, C1E, or something similar. Really would not recommend turning it off though unless overclocking...even then once stable and for everyday use I turn it back on.

From mine (OCed):


 


Shouldn't the Core Speed be at 2400 Mhz??



Shouldn't DRAM frequency be at 800Mhz?

when i first started I had the same questions. yeah google everything man. it helps so much. and good luck with overclocking
 
Speedstep drops the multiplier when the system is idle. As you see in the picture it is at x6 instead of the normal x9.

Great way to save power, run cooler, etc. and really no performance difference as it revs up instantly when needed.

I used to believe that too but I did some testing and found that in some situations, SpeedStep does not go up to full speed nearly fast enough.

I admit that this picture represents a worst case scenario but I think it's interesting all the same. The test was on an overclocked E8400 running normally at 450 MHz x 9.0 and with SpeedStep enabled it would drop down at idle to 450 MHz x 6.0.

eisttesting.png


What this picture shows is that during some situations on this E8400, a single core might need a load greater than 50% before the CPU will exit SpeedStep mode and jump up and use the higher multiplier. This CPU is firmly running a 6.0 multiplier even with a significant load on it. I was always skeptical of users that complained that their computer feels a little sluggish when using SpeedStep and now I can see why.

If you overclock and your motherboard does not lower the core voltage when using SpeedStep then I would make sure that the multiplier is at the highest value at idle. The best way to do this in Vista or Windows 7 is to enable EIST but set your Minimum processor state to 100% in the Control Panel -> Power Options. The power savings are minimal if your board can only drop the multiplier and MHz and not the core voltage.
 
Back
Top