E6420 transplanted in to Vostro 400

slunge

Limp Gawd
Hi All

Got a lil issue im hoping someone might know how to fix....

I just got a vostro 400 for an office PC, and had it specced up so it had a decent gfx card and a G0 Q6600 in it....

So i took the Q6600 out of this Vostro 400, and put it in to my main rig (see sig) where it would be of much better use, and replaced it back with my E6420...

No heres the problem...

My Gaming Rig (sig) is all good and runs the Q6600 fine.. but the Dell Vostro 400 doesnt know what multiplier to set the cpu at and is just running it at the default 6... so rather than running at 8x266 = 2.13 ghz, its stuck at 1.6 ghz.

Does anyone know a way of forcing the mutli back up to default 8 - the bios dont give you an option, and the dell PC has the latest bios on it - I have debated another way round it of BSEL modding the cpu up to 1333 fsb in order to get it back up to 2ghz but dont really know how to do this and figure its a lot of agrovation for what it is.

cheers for any help

Forget this, just noticed it was the speedstep kicking in on the dells motherboard - ive never had it activated on my 680i so never noticed the 6x multi before

Back