E6420 Overclock Thread

Ive had mine at 3.6 ghz. However, I am currious about temps for these chips. I see alot of people sitting idle w/ 50+ degrees c core temps.... isnt that alot for being idle?

I idle arround 38-40 degrees when at 3.6 ghz. Under load it jumps up to 65 degrees (dual prime 95's) 68 degrees (when using Intel TAT tool)

each core itself is 57-60 degrees, the CPU temp is the 65-68.

Is this safe? I dont want to fry my CPU.

I am using 1.475v.

Also, outside of

FSB
Voltages
Memory speeds/timings

is there anything else you should change in the bios to abtain a high overclock?

I believe Intel quotes maximum safe operating temperature for these chips at 65C. I wouldn't let it load above 60, personally. People sitting idle at 50+ (and yes, I've seen them too) are nuts. It won't die right away, but it'll die eventually.

Ive had mine at 3.6 ghz. However, I am currious about temps for these chips. I see alot of people sitting idle w/ 50+ degrees c core temps.... isnt that alot for being idle?

I idle arround 38-40 degrees when at 3.6 ghz. Under load it jumps up to 65 degrees (dual prime 95's) 68 degrees (when using Intel TAT tool)

each core itself is 57-60 degrees, the CPU temp is the 65-68.

Is this safe? I dont want to fry my CPU.

I am using 1.475v.

Also, outside of

FSB
Voltages
Memory speeds/timings

is there anything else you should change in the bios to abtain a high overclock?

Please see the above, as I would like an answer to the questions, however, I thought I would put a screenshot up too :)

3600overclock.jpg

I believe Intel quotes maximum safe operating temperature for these chips at 65C. I wouldn't let it load above 60, personally. People sitting idle at 50+ (and yes, I've seen them too) are nuts. It won't die right away, but it'll die eventually.

Got it, thanks. So considering when IM playing a game, and other tasks it never goes over 55c, only when I use a tool or something that super stresses them does it go to 65, should I be OK? Especially considering my idle temp is usually under 40? Or should I cut back just to be safe?

Got it, thanks. So considering when IM playing a game, and other tasks it never goes over 55c, only when I use a tool or something that super stresses them does it go to 65, should I be OK? Especially considering my idle temp is usually under 40? Or should I cut back just to be safe?

I'd back it off only because you have no way to guarantee it doesn't get to 65C+ in game in say, newer titles, without your knowing about it. Plus, I doubt you'll "need" the extra performance for a while yet.

A core temperature of 65C for these processors is nothing. Intel has set the throttle point at a core temperature of over 80C for these processors. They didn't do that because they wanted a bunch of RMA claims. They did it because these processors can operate 100% reliably at these temperatures.

tattesting3oh2.png

Forget about temperatures. As long as you are stable you have nothing to worry about. Your processor will take care of itself.

Xenozx: I've been running my E6400 at 3600 MHz all summer with temperatures inside hitting 30C without any instability issues whatsoever. With my single core AMD systems I'd be turning down my overclock when temps went up or else I'd lose stability. No problems with my Core 2 Duo. There is piles of head room in these things that users aren't using.

If you want to see what temperature your processor is running at while gaming then run SpeedFan 4.32 and anytime during the game you can ALT+TAB out to the desktop and check the temperature graph it keeps. It will show you a nice graph of what temperature your cores have been running at. Most single threaded games run 15C to 20C cooler than what Orthos does.

Xenocx,

I notice in your CPUZ it says 2700 mhz x 6 multi but in your NVidia monitor it says 3600mhz which one is right? and what is your actual multiplier at.

Im having very very very odd difficulties with mine lately of course I could of toasted it after finding my tempeture's going insane I found that when I had a non-conductive liquid leak it had gotton down inside the CPU slot and was basically boiling when the cpu was running... truely amazing that it is non-conductive as advertised (PrimoChill Non-conductive liquid) but I wonder if it hurt something.

at 3.4ghz 1.50vcore everything is hunky dory with a idle temp of 25C and full load of 45C. Everything above that it wont stay stable for more than 15mins even though the temps are well below 65C even at 3800mhz it works and runs superpi.

I have tried everything from raising vcore as high as 1.75v and raised everything else. Its not the heat I know that for sure I have a Dtek CPU block and DDMaze4 Northbridge block with a Nvidia southbridge special edition heatsink/fan (Made to fit under 8800 series cards).

I mean I am really happy with it at 3.4ghz everything is smooth and I have just stoped messing with it because it just frustrates me P

Back