E6400 & Scythe Infinity

iLLuSioN

Limp Gawd
So I bought my whole rig with the hopes of overclocking greatness, Ive been really busy since I got it so its just been stock for 4-5 months now ive only tried small overclocks which have resulted in failure. Yesterday I was running something that maxed both cores so I decided to take a look at the temp...both coretemp and tat reported core 1 as being 72c and core 2 76c....that looks incredibly high for being stock speed with my infinity sitting on top of it with 3 120mm fans pushing and pulling air over it. Could I have put on the heatsink wrong? or maybe its not level? any suggestions?

Take it off and reseat. Make sure you are only covering the cores with a thin layer of thermal paste, you can check arcticcooling for directions.

Yes those temps are too high! I have the same mobo, e4300 and scythe ninja. At 3GHz orthos small fft only gets both cores to 67c, and TAT @ 100% load just over 70c.

So I think you have a bad contact between your cooler and cpu. Try taking the cooler off and replacing the old thermal paste with arctic silver or something and see if that helps.

I'd say it isn't seated properly. I have the same setup and it's very difficult (impossible really) to install this heatsink without removing the motherboard from the computer. Before you apply the thermal paste, play with the seating pins a bit, to see how they are supposed to be when installed correctly.

Back