E6400 Revision B2: extremely low voltages at 2.6 GHz

OsageCowboy

Limp Gawd
so I apparently have the Revision B2 chip, and I'm curious as to how much people on here know about it. I attempted a slight overclock, wanting to go to just ~2.6GHz. Well at first I was extremely discouraged because, following a guide from Tom's Hardware, I upped the FSB to 333 MHz and upped the core CPU voltage to 1.375. Well at that voltage, I was getting extremely disappointing OC results to the point that I thought I had a problem with my HSF and thermal paste.

While the HSF and excess paste admittedly did not help (I reseated the HSF and applied a much thinner coating of paste), my temps were still running over 60C at full load in Orthos. Discouraged and the situation looking bleak, I simply adjusted the BIOS to the lowest possible voltage settings ~1.20v. At that voltage (runs around 1.15v at full load with the vdroop), the system is perfectly stable at 2.6 GHz and the temps do not exceed 50C. CPU-z indicates that I have a "Revision B2" chip, and I'm wondering if this is a far more efficient CPU than the first run of E6400s. Though I haven't tried, I am betting I could hit 3.2 GHz while barely upping the voltage. Comments?

B2 is the first and only revision out there.

And you need a new CPU cooler. Get yourself a tuniq Tower 120 or a thermalright ultra 120!

um ok, perhaps if I were to seriously OC, but not for right now. I seem to be very fortunate in that my chip does not require a lot of voltage to be stable.

Yeah you don't need to jump right out and get a big ass hsf. Many people can get theirs up around 3 ghz with no problems using the stock setup. And like you said your not doing any major oc'ing right now.

um ok, perhaps if I were to seriously OC, but not for right now. I seem to be very fortunate in that my chip does not require a lot of voltage to be stable.

I run my e6300 at 2.8GHz at "stock" (whatever that may be), with the stock HSF.

Got an E6300 running at 3150MHz, 8 hours Orthos blend stable, on Vcore 1.2875 / ~1.23 (BIOS/Vdroop). A Zalman 9700 keeps the absolute max load temp at 57ºc. I'll try and dig up a screenshot in a moment. *Edit:Forgot to upload the 8hr screenie, but here's the 5hr one in the meantime till I can do that.

RAM is "holding me back", as the CPU is just as happy doing 3220MHz with the same Vcore, but the RAM throws errors at 460 FSB. Still not bad for $200 RAM. :D

If I were to spend a bunch on RAM, I could probably squeeze quite a bit more out of this CPU.

Back