• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E6400 on water - is coretemp lying

rincewind

Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
888
Okay, so I finally jumped to C2D with a P5B and E6400. I'm easing it in at 2.8GHz, curing the AS5 and ensuring stability before I cane the clockspeed. Coretemp is reporting both cores idling at ambient temps (15c). My X1900XT is idling 11c lower than before (27c, sweet), so I know the new setup is much more efficient with a shorter tubing run and no chipset block (P965 runs much cooler than nF4 Ultra and doesn't have an annoying 40mm fan). But still, these temps seem very low. Even under full system load (Prime95+ATT Artifact scan) the C2D only breaks 31c and the XT tops at 35c. Asus PC Probe always shows a 12c higher temperature, although general concensus seems to be that Coretemp is much more accurate than motherboard vendor software. Should I believe that my loop is able to cool my idling CPU down to room temperature?

BIP 120.2 with 4 Sharkoon Silent Eagles in push/pull
MCP-655 at 4/5 speed
Swiftech Storm
DD Maze4
Fillport res
7/16" tubing (very tight loop at just over 3', excluding T-line)
 
I hate mobo temp readings, make sure you have the newest version of the bios, I have a AV8 and it tells me my fx55 is at 17c while its really at 40 (crappy cooler).
 
Okay thanks. 0907 BIOS has possibly hosed my system though - it died during a dual P95 blend and hasn't come back to life :mad:
 
Reset the CMOS?

Done that, also removed and bridged the battery, and still nothing. I've got another thread on the issue, and it looks like the RAM has crapped out. Without a PC speaker, it makes it hard to troubleshoot; that and the fact the P5B error beeps are pretty generic compared to my DFi board (which made it clear when the memory was at fault). I have had a lot of bad 'enthusiast' memory over the last year so it wouldn't surprise me - conversely, the cheaper stuff I put in machines for other people works great :mad:
 
Back
Top