• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

E6400 + 775Dual-VSTA!

iLLuSioN

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
228
Just got in the CPU and got the mobo yesterday, I've been itching to put this thing together. Im going to run some benchmarks on my old system right now so I can compare.
Heres my proc info before I slap it in the motherboard:

6400 SL9S9 MALAY
2.13ghz/2mb/1066/06
L624A866

:D Be back with the benchies
 
Nice same combo as I got...will be interested to see your results.
The details on my proc are identical too. :D
 
Results from current system:

3dmark03 - 12011
3dmark05 - 5251 - CPU Score - 3549
AquaMark - GFX=8919 CPU=8114 Total-5761

PI - 1MB - 48s
PI - 512k - 21s
PI - 256k - 9s

Specs:
P4 Northwood 2.8 @ 3.0
1gb Patriot DDR400 2.5-3-2-5 4:5
6800GS AGP @ 391mhz Core, 1.05 Memory, All pipes unlocked
74GB 10k Rpm Raptor
SB X-FI Extreme Music
 
Good luck, bro.
Just remember the bios defaults to RAID setup. If you're not using raid, you'll want to change that before you let it try to boot windows (I assume you're not reinstalling winxp plus however many hundreds of various programs you may have like some folks think you have to)
Also, if you set to DDR400 in bios, know that it will overclock the ram to something like 532. If your ram can take it, great- I'm not sure what your pat ddr will max out at.
 
Having some issues with my wireless card (netgear WG311T) when I connect to my secured network its only like its only communicating half the time....really F***ING ANNOYING! I just installed the newest beta drivers but still not working....I dont know hopefully I can get it going.

Super PI times
+ 000h 00m 02s [ 128K]
+ 000h 00m 04s [ 256K]
+ 000h 00m 11s [ 512K]
+ 000h 00m 27s [ 1M]

3DMark03 Sore - 13179 - CPU - 1112

more to come..
 
iLLuSioN said:
Just got in the CPU and got the mobo yesterday, I've been itching to put this thing together. Im going to run some benchmarks on my old system right now so I can compare.
Heres my proc info before I slap it in the motherboard:

6400 SL9S9 MALAY
2.13ghz/2mb/1066/06
L624A866

:D Be back with the benchies

iLLuSioN,

How are you doing on clocking the chip? You have the exact wk and batch # I have, but my motherboard won't come until sometime next week. I have not seen any results for the L624A866 as of yet so I am eagerly awaiting your results, thanks!
 
Scott5000 said:
iLLuSioN,

How are you doing on clocking the chip? You have the exact wk and batch # I have, but my motherboard won't come until sometime next week. I have not seen any results for the L624A866 as of yet so I am eagerly awaiting your results, thanks!

Im going to try overclocking today but I wouldnt expect too much out of this mobo, will post results soon as well as stock benchmarks.
 
Well tried some overclocking... Right now im stable at 2.161ghz 270mhz bus speed, it wouldnt boot at 2.240 (280 bus) so i tried 275 bus and set my ram to 333, got into windows and a few min later got a bsod. Not much point in going higher from here since it wouldnt even be a noticeable difference.
 
iLLuSioN said:
Having some issues with my wireless card (netgear WG311T) when I connect to my secured network its only like its only communicating half the time....really F***ING ANNOYING! I just installed the newest beta drivers but still not working....I dont know hopefully I can get it going.

Super PI times
+ 000h 00m 02s [ 128K]
+ 000h 00m 04s [ 256K]
+ 000h 00m 11s [ 512K]
+ 000h 00m 27s [ 1M]

3DMark03 Sore - 13179 - CPU - 1112

more to come..

wow my 4800 runs almost 37s on the 1 meg run! I cannot wait to get the mobo for my 6600
 
After random lockups at the small overclock i set everything back to default....still locking up. Yeah im not very happy right now.
 
Anyways im getting real F*CKING sick and tired of these lockups! how am i supposed to figure out whats wrong when everything just freezes including the mouse but it still sounds like everythings running...
 
Freeze up in windows XP usually points to a hardware problem than a software.

Old windows like 95 and 98 this would be a software problem , but for windows XP it has a kernal which sorts the threads out and how all the hardware is managed , so if its a software problem the chances are the software would show a error and the whole system would not freeze.

The lock ups maybe the clocks are not stable, run passmark from www.passmark.com

this will at least diagnose if the hardware is ok.
 
Well I guess I got my answer, last night while changing settings in the bios (mind you they werent even saved yet) everything just turned off...so I tried turning it back on...everything spins up sounds like it going to turn on but no beep and then it just turns off I get no video signal no nothing just the fans spinning up for about 4 seconds. So am I right in assuming it was my mobo all along and it finally took a dump? If something happened to the CPU wouldnt I get at least a video signal and get some bios? Im goin to call newegg in a few minutes and setup an RMA of this pile.
 
I hope things work out for you eventually. I read somewhere that someone had the same problem as you. He fixed the problem by swapping out his RAM for something else and it worked fine. If you have that kind of resources maybe you could give that a try. Otherwise I hope you have the best of luck when it comes to your RMA and hopefully you will be giving us your feedback on this mobo soon.

edit: the guy was using high voltage OCZ ram and it didnt work until he swapped them out for low voltage generics. I know you are using DDR1's, but this might help.
 
Yeah I did swap out my patriots for a 1gig stick of mushkin, same thing, so didnt look like the memory had anything to do with it. Just a defective board I guess. Although it is pretty annoying I have to wait till the end of next week at the earliest to get a new board.
 
Just setup my E6300/775DUAL-VSTA and it's running like a champ. I did a very subtle overclock to 2ghz and that's where it's sitting.

I am still installing all my updates so I don't have benches yet but so far it doesn't feel a whole lot snappier than my 3000+ (but to be fair I havnt tried much yet). The true test will be when I try and encode a movie later tonight.

Anyways I hope your new mobo works out for you. So far this one is pretty solid on my end.
 
Got my RMA back and installed it today, everything is stable this time so im happy about that. But there is a serious conflict with my wireless card that I cant figure out....it will connect to non WEP networks and work like shit but it wont connect to WEP networks at all. Ive tried all the drivers out for it to no avail. There always has to be something f'ing wrong.
 
Got a belkin card, installed a fresh copy of xp, everything worked fine. So I go about installing the basic drivers and a few essential apps...card doesnt connect anymore &^#@!@&*(#!@*(. So I installed Vista RC1 and everything seems to be working....except my mouse jumps....which is almost as annoying as having no internet. It seems there are 2 usb hubs and my sata hard drive on the same IRQ, im assuming thats whats causing my mouse to stall. Suggestions? besides throwing away this piece of shit motherboard.
 
Well, first of all, let's stop blaming the mobo. I've got the exact same mobo/cpu combo that you have and absolutely no problems. The Asrock board has yet to BSOD on me since my original fight with the BIOS SATA settings. I'm OC'd at 300fsb and a 3:5 mem ratio.

Currently running 1.70 bios, but since I'm using DDR ram, haven't made the jump to 1.80.

I also just loaded up the newest hyperion drivers from VIA's website, and saw about an 8% boost in memory throughput.

So what bios are you on?
What chipset drivers you using?

Moving to Vista Beta 3 is not going to improve your reliability, IMHO. My suggestion is to install 1.80 bios, set bios up as conservatively as possible (NO OC), reinstall XP-->update to SP2-->Install latest/greatest Hyperion drivers, then before doing anything else, see if you're stable. After you're stable, then start adding cards.
 
Im on the 1.80 bios, with all the default settings. And also have been using the latest hyperion drivers. Ive tried all that...I wouldn't be bashing the mobo unless I was sure it was at fault, Ive pretty much tried everything with no success.
 
yevaud said:
Well, first of all, let's stop blaming the mobo. I've got the exact same mobo/cpu combo that you have and absolutely no problems.


It's funny how people get so defensive and feel the need to champion any product that they have good results with.

The fact is iLLuSioN's system is not working well and he feels it's the motherboard so he is naturaly upset at the product.

In any event I am really stumped as to why your system is not working well. Seeing as you had the motherboard replaced all should be good.

Are all your problems with this Belkin card? Maybe it's just a bad driver for you setup?


So far (knock on wood) my system has been a rock from minute one - I hope yours gets there too.
 
Stability issues - are you sure your PSU is up to par?

Wireless card - I've had multiple problems with WEP in the past. Try turning off WEP temporarily, to see if it will connect & stay connected. If it does its just some config problem.

1st- Common problem is B / G modes not being compatible. Ex: some drivers default to G only mode, then the router is B only. Or the router is set to G mode, and the card is B only.

The 2nd most common problem is firewalls not letting the router identify the computer, either by MAC address or other information it needs to complete the connection.

3rd - if the card comes with software to manage the connection. You should either disable the cards software or Window Zero Config software, b/c they'll end up fighting for control and messing things up. = cause dropped connections

4th - change the channel on the router, maybe a neighbor just happened to recently buy a router, and is on the same channel. Seen this quite often too
 
I have the 775Daul-880Pro (no c2d support) and had installed g.skill pc5400 ram at first.. It didnt work so I bought some kingston pc4300 and it worked great.
 
THEREALJMAN said:
It's funny how people get so defensive and feel the need to champion any product that they have good results with.

It's also funny when folks make blanket statements about the motivations of other forum members, when they have absolutely no way of knowing them- or in this case- even guessing them correctly.

I'm here to help iLLuSioN if I can, if I can't- so be it. It has nothing to do with being "defensive".

Back O/T: iLLuSioN, are you back on XP again? or did you dual boot the Vista install? You mentioned that your RMA board was "stable", but has issues with the belkin card. Is this the only issue? or are there stability issues as well?
 
yevaud said:
It's also funny when folks make blanket statements about the motivations of other forum members, when they have absolutely no way of knowing them- or in this case- even guessing them correctly.

I'm here to help iLLuSioN if I can, if I can't- so be it. It has nothing to do with being "defensive".

Back O/T: iLLuSioN, are you back on XP again? or did you dual boot the Vista install? You mentioned that your RMA board was "stable", but has issues with the belkin card. Is this the only issue? or are there stability issues as well?

After having problems in vista last night I got fed up and did a clean install of XP sp2, the only thing I have installed so far are the latest wireless drivers and the latest hyperion drivers. The belkin card was a no go so I put in my old netgear card and its working for the moment...im kinda scared to install anything else but ill just take it one driver at a time and hope for the best. Also, yeah the wireless cards have been the only issue with the rma board its weird the reason I got the belkin card was because the netgear one was not working and now its the other way around.

chrisf6969:
If the PSU was a problem im sure id have alot more problems then just the wireless card not functioning properly. Thanks for the tips, but I had tried all of that and my router is on a non overlapping channel.
 
iLLuSioN said:
After having problems in vista last night I got fed up and did a clean install of XP sp2, the only thing I have installed so far are the latest wireless drivers and the latest hyperion drivers. The belkin card was a no go so I put in my old netgear card and its working for the moment...im kinda scared to install anything else but ill just take it one driver at a time and hope for the best. Also, yeah the wireless cards have been the only issue with the rma board its weird the reason I got the belkin card was because the netgear one was not working and now its the other way around.

What firewall are you using?

I had problems when installed ZoneAlarm. I was using an old version of it that I had downloaded from ages ago. I had to uninstall it, download the latest version of it and I was back up & running.
 
I dont use a firewall, I even dmz myself on the router.

p.s. installed more drivers and software and it seems to be working still.
 
Spoke too soon....tried to OC it since everything was stable, went to 285 and it seemed fine. Then just locked up so i backed it off to 280. Seemed fine then locked up not doing anything intensive again. Went back to default settings. Still locking up doing nothing intensive. Reset bios, left everything auto, still locks up. Tried settings that i know worked before, still locks up.

Long story short im sick of this shit so I broke out the credit card and ordered everything to make the full jump instead of the halfassed one.
So on thursday ill have:

Gigabyte DS3
OCZ GameXStream 600w PSU
EVGA 7900GS
Sythe Infinity
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
Antec P180

So fairly soon I should have a nice overclocking game machine which HOPEFULLY will have no problems.
 
Well, I would have stayed away from a Via board in the first place. :(
They don't overclock as well, and they don't handle being pushed too far as well. Did you take it up 1Mhz FSB at a time? You probably corrupted your OS, b/c Via has always been bad at memory/PCI bus/BIOS settings. If you were on an Intel board it would have handled being pushed too far more gracefully and not crapped on your OS install.

At least now, you'll have the real deal. And you should be able to overclock well with the new board!
:)
 
Back
Top