• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

e6300 vs e8400

Yaemish

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
69
I currently have the e6300 in my computer running with at 400 mhz to push the processor to 2.8ghz. My sister needs a new processor and I was thinking about giving her that one and I'm not sure if I should just pick up the e8400 for myself. Will I be able to push it a little more than stock with my current 800mhz rated memory?

Otherwise I am also considering the Q6600.
 
If your sister needs it I guess you could grab a new mobo and CPU. depends on your viewpoint concerning the choice between the E8400, and the Q6600 if you use a lot of multi-threaded programs or not. However I should not that the e6300 at 2.8 GHz is still more than enough to keep most people happy....
 
An E8400 would actually be quite a bit faster than your E6300, and it could be overclocked much more. Between it and a Q6600, it depends on how much multitasking or how many multithreaded apps you run. If you mostly run just a few apps at a time and don't use many programs that can take advantage of multiple cores, the higher clock speed and singlethreaded performance of the E8400 will give you an advantage over the quad, but for multitasking and multithreaded apps obviously the two extra cores the quad has will be more useful.
 
If you intend on getting a GTX 260 or GTX 280, you will benefit from clock speeds well in excess of 3GHz.
An overclocked E8400 at 3.6GHz seems to perform similarly to a quad core at 3.5GHz from the reviews I have seen.
(a very small dataset though so take with a pinch of salt)
This is also dependent on the game but the driver doesnt seem to care whether you have 2 or 4 cores.
Also NVidia may optimise better for Quad cores later so you might want to consider a high speed quad.
I've yet to see a 4GHz E8400 review though, keeping my eyes peeled.
 
I'm not going to overclock it all the much. I was just wondering if the E8400 would be a worth while purchase and operate on par with my E6300?
 
For any CPU-intensive tasks, the E8400 has a massive advantage over the E6300 if both are clocked at stock speeds, due to performance-per-clock improvements, SSE4.1, and a rather large increase in clock speed(1.83GHz to 3GHz, almost double the frequency).
 
Back
Top