• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E6300 To 8400?

foxman1221

n00b
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
15
currently have a E6300 on a P5B-D. is it even worth upgrading to a E8400 or should i go to the Q cores? off topic, can i just increase my FSB to get alittle more speed out of it ?(currently on stock 7x200=1860mhz)

thx in advance for da advice
 
its totally up to you, though if you want a good deal on an e8400 that does 4ghz, shoot me a pm. I have one for sale for 170.
 
If you can get your CPU to 2.7GHz approx you wont see much benefit going to an E8400 in current games.
You might as well try clocking.
 
yeah, I'm running my e6300 at 2.8 at stock voltages, but am strongly considering a q6600...
 
dont let the 2 extra cores fool you, im an everyday gamer, play css, farcry, crysis, bf2, cod4 blahblahblah and i just sold my q6600 for an e8400 and theirs such a big difference.. we'll for me their was becuase my q6600 was a B3 stepping and would only oc to 3.0.. i got my 8400 at 4.0 right now with 1.35 volts and 30c idle.. my q6600 required 1.4+ volts for 3.0, and it idled at 45c lol.

so far in the games iv tested their has been a pretty big boost in fps from this change, gained alot more fps in css, don't go below 100 anymore either., and have seen 1,266 fps, got a screenshot.
 
i play alot of COD4, Crisis etc and other fps but i also wanted a q6600 for my video editing,burning, ripping etc.. been hearing good things bout it
 
dont let the 2 extra cores fool you, im an everyday gamer, play css, farcry, crysis, bf2, cod4 blahblahblah and i just sold my q6600 for an e8400 and theirs such a big difference.. we'll for me their was becuase my q6600 was a B3 stepping and would only oc to 3.0.. i got my 8400 at 4.0 right now with 1.35 volts and 30c idle.. my q6600 required 1.4+ volts for 3.0, and it idled at 45c lol.

so far in the games iv tested their has been a pretty big boost in fps from this change, gained alot more fps in css, don't go below 100 anymore either., and have seen 1,266 fps, got a screenshot.

Well this is just me, but I'd rather have the two extra cores that clock a bit lower and maybe drop to 80fps instead of maintaining 100fps, which is perfectly adequate since 60fps is the magic figure anyway, while at the same time being able to multi task a lot better and take advantage of other tasks that can make use of the two additional cores. I personally find it very hard to believe anyone can tell the difference between 80fps and 100fps without the help of an FPS counter staring them in the face. I won't go so far as to call BS on anyone claiming they can tell the difference, but I know I certainly cannot and neither can any of my friends who are gamers.

Back on topic. IMO, if you already have a C2D and you can get a good OC out of it, upgrading to a more powerful C2D is kind of a waste. If you can get it to 2.8GHz+ I'd say keep it around until Nehalem, and either snag one of those, or if your budget conscious, wait for Nehalem and then grab a Q9450 for real cheap.
 
well I have been at 4.1ghz on my e6850 and...it was great, but I tried a e6750 and I got to 3.8ghz...saw no difference, I now have a q6600 and its at 3.75ghz (can push it further) and its about the same...in some cases better than e6850 (medieval total war II and SupCOm) I was going to get a e8400 because I was certain I could get 4.5ghz BUT....I'll wait until its a bit cheaper....My point is, is that the whole 4ghz thing is very overrated...specially at 1920x1200 and in most games, the strain is on the GPU now a' days

But yeah dude go for the quad, but see how far you can push that e6300, I have one in my secondary and its sitting at 3.15ghz, I could go higher with better cooling (stock now) but I haven't gotten around to it
 
Back
Top