E6300 or E6600

Darksource

n00b
Hey guys, well im new at this and im in the process of building a new rig. Since conroe came out, i've heard good things about it and reviews. Im still undecided on what processor to get, the E6300 or E6600. I know i can overclock to 2.5GHz with the E6300, but knowing the E6600 having the extra L2 Cache, is that going to be a huge difference?

Thanks. :D

If you can afford it, I would go with the 6600. Obviously, no overclock is guaranteed. So, I would go with the chip this has great performance at stock... and then try to overclock it :)

My 6600 is currently running at 3Ghz and I will be trying for more later today.

Chris

Well i can, but thanks. So i guess E6600 then. By the way, what would be a good mobo for it?

I really like my Asus P5W DH. From reading others post it seems to be less quirky than the DS3, although the DS3 is cheaper.

If you can find an Asus P5W DH get one. I would have, but I couldn't find one in stock, and I wanted a motherboard to arrive YESTERDAY with my 6600. Anyway, I've been having some problems and I'm thinking its the motherboard. In the past with Asus or Abit, overclocking was always SO easy. Currently I'm ONLY at 2.66Ghz with a stock 2.4Ghz 6600. Its running dual prime95's right now and seems to be doing ok. Last night I tried 2.7- 3.0Ghz, and a few other overclocks in between. They'd all boot to windows, but had problems with ram intesive stuff. Maybe its the cheap ram I have. But it should be ok, as long as I keep the ratios, to keep the ram at or below spec.

I've been seeing a lot of people hitting nice OC's with the 6300. I got the 6600 b/c I thought the extra L2 cache might make a difference somewhere.

So far at stock 2.4Ghz, gaming is actually very similar as my Pentium D @ 3.9Ghz. Prime95 even at 2.4Ghz it blows the Pentium D away, about 50% faster on that type of calculations.

Well i can get the Asus P5W DH on newegg, but right now they're out of stock, i guess i'll have to wait, unless somebody knows another hardware store i can purchase it from.

:)

Darksource said:
Well i can get the Asus P5W DH on newegg, but right now they're out of stock, i guess i'll have to wait, unless somebody knows another hardware store i can purchase it from.

:)

That was my point, they're out of stock everywhere! :(

Back