E6300 OC

• Thread starter Deleted member 109755
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109755

I'm not sure if this is the right area, but here's what I'm wondering.

I have an E6300 overclocked to 2.6 Ghz right now on STOCK air cooling with a 1.2V volt core. My memory runs at 1200 Mhz on 2.1 volts.

All temps are fine, no artificating/lockups at all...what I'm wondering is, am i on a suicide run? What things can you guys suggest that I check to make sure my system remains stable. Franky I'm amazed out of my head that it hasn't blown up yet! Stock air cooling at 2.6 Ghz?! 115 degrees F idle temp and 140 or so load? Holy hell!

Update: I looked again and my idle temp is at 95F, how is this possible?!
Update again: I just got it to 2.7 Ghz...the drool is flowing nicely!

For the record here is my CPU-Z validation page, I'm out of my head with this:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=198836

nope , I think you can run day to day at 3ghz easy providing you clock your ram right.

At the mo I can tell your bottleneck is your ram cos it has hit its limit , what you do is change the ratio and clock your ram down and your cpu FSB stays what it is at your stable overclock , after that start to put your cpu fsb up and now go until the ram is somewhere near 1200 , that is overclocking

How do I change the ratio?

I really just got into oc'n, I'm a bit new...to be honest I'm suprised I am where I am...heh. Could you make some suggestions on what to do from this point on...i have an evga 680i mobo.

in the bios where you change the fsb for n=both the ram and cpu there will be soemthing which will give you a link mode and a unlink mode.

you can try this and give it unlink mode and type whatever FSB you need for the CPU to get to 300ghz (what ever your multi multiplied by fsb =total speed)

and in your ram you know you can run it at 1200 so put that to 1200 , the board will do the rest

680i boards are very very very very easy to overclock with.

That's what I've been doing the whole time, unlinked, FSB (QDR), Mhz at 1500 and MEM (DDR), Mhz at 1200...gives me 2625 Mhz, and I bumped it up a little more earlier and got 2.7 Ghz...but that's not stable according to orthos...1.2V core, 2.1V memory, 1.3V FSB

your Vcore needs to be 1.34v around 3ghz

also you might also need to put the MCH (northbridge up there too)

Got it to 3.14 ghz, and it's booting...now to see if it's stable.

I've been running at 3400 MHz with the stock cooler since last summer. Don't let fear or common sense get in the way of a good overclock! :D

I need a bios setting of 1.45 volts to be stable here which equals about 1.40 volts while running Orthos.

With your memory and a good Intel 965 based board you would be able to run at 500 x 7. The nvidia boards don't seem as comfortable at sky high FSB frequencies.

I'm sitting at 3.14 Ghz with Orthos stable after 6 hours...42C idle temp, 65 or so orthos full load temp.

heh, you gotta remember...this is a stock intel cooler...also i oculd probably back off the core voltage a little bit and remain stable. I got 6 hours on orthos without 1 error so i should be good.

pretty good OC on stock. I wonder what I would hit with my stock cooler?

I wish I could do the same...mine is pretty damn loud, 3 75 CFM case fans, 2 120mm and 1 80 mm thing sounds like a jet

yeah. You better wear a helmet. :cool: i remember the days when high rpm 60mm delta fans was Kool.

Even 1 retail cooler is pretty loud.

I only have 3 fans running.

2 120 mm fans. 1 running @ 900 rpm and the other probably 600-800rpm.

1 fan on the video card cooled by AC accelero.

Reminds me of a comm rack i built this past week, had 4 120MM 5000+rpm fans, lol....THAT thing sounded like it was about to life off

I say around 3GHZ and close to stock volts for the stock cooler would be good. Those are good temps. If and when you go after market, I would say 3.5-3.6GHZ provided your motherboard, and ram are up to the challenge.

I think I've hit the limit on my ram with its current timings, 5-5-5-15 @ 1150 Mhz, 2.3 volts. I MIGHT be able to push it to 1200 but I'm very seriously doubting much higher. I'm going to do aftermarket cooling with a Scythe ninja with AS5 grease. Motherboard is an evga 680i with the P27 bios, I haven't flashed to P28 yet.

Back