• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

e6300 OC with P5B-E (vcore question)

Crowsnose

n00b
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
38
Well, I got kind of sick of using a 8800gt with a e6300 at stock settings so decided to do a modest cpu overclock
using an Asus P5B-E. I bumped it up from 266 to 315 and all seems well. I set the vcore to 1.325 and memory to auto (not sure about this either). My temps have gone up about 3 degrees from 40 to 43 on idle and around the same during load as they were before (47-51). I'm wondering if this increase seems normal or if I should lower my vcore a bit. I once had it too low and couldn't turn on my pc so I'd like to avoid having that scare again.

And what should I set the memory voltage to? I'm using 4gb (non dual channel and only 3gb active, kinda messy :p) corsair ddr2-667. Frequency is set to fsbx2 (630). The settings they give me in bios are 1.8 to 2.0. And should I not exceed a ram frequency of 667 (which would mean not going over a 333 fsb speed? I also have it clocked at 5-5-5-15 which was the default spec for the sticks.

Thanks for any help I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff.
 
Everything looks good to me. Safe voltage for that chip is 1.5V or below, so you're well within that limit. Also, you've got the right idea about RAM settings. an FSB of 333MHz will make the RAM run at its rated speed, although you could also overclock it by setting a higher FSB.
 
Good setup but you have way more potential. I had my e6300 @ 3.4 FSB 495 with vcore @ 1.325, memory set 5-5-5-15-6-42 vmem @ 2.2 and NB volts @ 1.50 with temps in the area of 45c - 47c idle to 55c - 57c load depending on the ambient temp. I don't under stand why you have 4gb and only have 3gb active? are you talking about the difference between what you see in the bios vs windows? and you have to be running dual channel memory unless your running 512mb+1gb+2gb+512mb config- if you are get some decent memory and run two 2gb matching sticks - DDR2 is cheap nowadays - :D
 
Na as I said my memory setup is a bit messy.

I've got 4gb ddr2-667 with 1gb in slot 1, 2gb in slot 2, and 1gb in slot 3 so no dual channel.
And windows only detects 3gb because I'm running 32-bit xp.

Do you think the benefits of dual channel outweigh the benefits I'm getting from the extra ~1gb? I don't think it makes much of a difference either way though I've yet to test it in 3dmark.

I overclocked it to 330 earlier today and lowered vcore to 1.3v and everything is stable at 42/44 idle (48-50) load. I'm a bit concerned about going higher than this because it will exceed the RAMs default frequency (at 333/667). Though I guess a lot of people are going over 400fsb with ddr2-800. I'm a little confused with this but I don't want to risk damaging hardware.
 
You're right in regards to performance increase from a single channel setup vs a dual channel setup, in normal conditions you would see a 5% - 8% increase in performance but what I'm getting at is the stability. Right now your probably running very loose timings on the ram due to different type of ram sticks causing stability issues at overclocked speeds. Try running the 1gb sticks in dual channel mode and set the ram timings yourself. Another thing to is that for some reason you start hitting a wall after you've passed 320 FSB due to the 1066 NB strap, once you go over 400FSB let says 401FSB or 402FSB you jump up to the 1333 strap making it possible to overclock higher. And one more thing - No guts no glory! :D

For a quick explanation on what the strap is check this out

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105703

For a detailed explanation check this out

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=30
 
Hmmm, I set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (not sure about the final 2 values)

This matches the rated timings for each of the sticks (all are same speed same manufacturer) only difference is the 2gb stick with has a tRC value of 18 instead of 19. So you think I could run into problems because of that? Am I better going back to 1gbx2 dual channel?
 
I took out the 2gb stick so I'd be running 2x1gb dual channel and my 3dmark06 score went up by about 50 :p

Do you think this is a good indication that I should stay in dual channel?
 
if your going to overclock.. stick with the 2x1gb in dual channel.. then invest in a 64bit OS and switch to 2x2gb pc-6400 at some point.. or you can go with 1066 if the motherboard will support it.. ddr2 is so cheap now its worth the upgrade..
 
Back
Top