E6300 + ASUS P5B 965 problems

Laser09

n00b
I have installed a brand new Conroe processor and mother board as scene in the title along with an eVGA 7300GS, Thermaltake TR2-470, OCZ PC-5400 gold series dual channel memory, and a 250GB WD SATAII HD. Now I have only built a handfull of computers, probably somewhere around 10 or so within the different generations of computers since oh 99' - 2000. I am having a problem I have never had before. When I power on the system I get absolutely nothing except the the sound of a running computer. Everything powers on, the HDs spin, if tried to change the ram slots, the cpu fan spins everything seems to work as if it should. The only thing I don't get is video on my monitor. No beeps, no shut down, just nothing but a blank screen and a beige box between my legs that seems rather useless.

It might be your ram... But I'm not too sure... You should try a different stick of ram or if you have a PCI/pci express video card other than the 7300gs you should try that too...

Laser09,

I had this exact same problem. It turns out that several OCZ ram modules don't work with the P5B board. I was able to confirm this after contacting OCZ directly over the phone. RMA'd the OCZ, got 2 sticks of Corsair and it went right to POST.

I had this problem also, ram settings need to be set to at least 533 or 667, if set lower PC would not show screen. Have you re-set bios, this is what let me show a post screen.

Yup, RAM problem. THe default voltage of that motherboard RAM is 1.9V (I have it as well), the RAM you have (and I bought) irequires 2.0V - 2.1V. I bought a cheap stick of OEM PC4200 to boot, set the RAM voltage to 2.05 and then reboot using your OCZ and it will work, or you can RMA.

beware of OCZ and 965/975 boards in general. I just saw a system with a 975 board that wouldn't post with some high end OCZ. Stuck in some average 667 sticks and it was fine.

Well based on what i posted in my last post, if i buy this ram, it more than likely should be compatable? All i want to do is make it post so that i can adjust the voltages so that my 2 other sticks of OCZ can function.

it says on the website that it was used with low latencies at 2.0V, it does not say whether it works at lower volts it might/should but no confirmation. Just buy any generic pc4200 and you will post, they work at low voltafges because they will not overclock so high voltages are not needed, just get the oem samsung crap, that works then swap

I had the exact same problem with the exact same CPU and motherboard. I got frustrated and just bought some generic 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC5300, which has been running without problem for the past week.

I wasn't willing to boot the generic DDR2 at a higher voltage so that I could get the 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC6400 Gold XTC memory working, so I just sold the RAM. At this point, I'd rather have a rock-solid stable system instead of playing around with DDR2 voltages.

In retrospect, I should have purchased a Corsair XMS 2x1GB kit instead. Oh well.

I went to the computer store where I purchased my motherboard, and we tried some (top of the line) OCZ Platinum memory, and we had the same problem - the computer would still refuse to post. They said that they too were having the same problems with all the systems that they've been putting together, so it is clearly a generalized issue with Asus and OCZ memory at this point.

Once again, the problem lies in the fact that Asus expects the DDR2 to be adhering to the JEDEC 1.8V standards, and not the 2.0/2.1V default that OCZ has with their memory.

As soon as we put in some generic DDR2, it went straight to post. For their high-end systems, they were using the Corsair XMS instead of OCZ, and reported no problems with it.

If you RMA'd your board, you must have changed something (e.g., default voltage) as there is no way that it would post at 1.8V...(or maybe you used a different board! I noticed your correction :))

Back