e6300 and Tunic Tower 120 with AS5

Smashed Ixnay

Supreme [H]ardness
Why are my temps so high with this setup? I read people get like 30C. I can't get lower than 46C and I have the Tunic Tower 120 with AS5 applied. This is really irking me! I paid like $50 for this heatsink and it's higher than my stock cooler! It's at stock settings too with the fan all the way up or it jumps up to like 49C.

I've done it 3x and waited a few days in between to let it set in or w/e since I heard AS5 usually needs 24 hours to start working. This is 46C idle.

Idle temps don't really matter. Unless you're getting poor load temps with the Tuniq, I don't see any problem.

Are you applying the correct amount of TIM? Is there proper airflow?

I'm running at stock settings right now. I used to have my stock cooler and have it OC'ed to 2.6ghz and it'd never pass 42C. With this I'm at stock and it runs much hotter still. It could be the case I have?

I have a COOLER MASTER Centurion 5. It's the regular black and silver one. I had to take off the side duct thing since it woudn't fit with it on there. Right now my side is being left off becuase it runs a few degrees cooler I believe. I even did some wire management so they weren't going everywhere.

My Q6600 doesn't even idle at that with Tuniq Tower..

Make sure you don't apply too much.. I did that the first time and it ran pretty warm.. even with the stock fan inside the Tower it shouldn't be running that high.

How about ambient room temperature?

Possibilities:
1. You increased voltage in the bios by accident
2. Fan in in heatsink is functional?
3. Check for capacitors and other stuff on motherboard that may be interfering with mounting of the heatsink.

Possibilities:
1. You increased voltage in the bios by accident
2. Fan in in heatsink is functional?
3. Check for capacitors and other stuff on motherboard that may be interfering with mounting of the heatsink.

1. Everything is set to default. I even loaded defaults in Bios to make sure.
2. The fan in heatsink seems to be working fine because I can feel the airflow it's throwing out, which feels pretty cool.
3. I didn't see anything interfering with the mounting, but I'll have to give that another look.

Sorry for the bad pic, but this is what it looks like.

DSC06378.jpg

This is after I did some 'cable management.' I still have my old ugly yellow DFI Lan Party 3 cables in there since I don't have any others, but it gets the job done and I don't see it most of the time anyways. I know it isn't the greatest job, but I think it's decent.

I thought I had fixed my problem, but apparently not. It was on a capacitor (2) that didn't let it sit right. I tried to move it down some, but that X looking plate that sits on top of the copper part where you have to put the screws in to the motherboard doesn't sit int he middle anymore. In the middle of the Copper part it has a piece that sticks out so that X looking plate sits in the middle of it so when you tighten it the screws tighten evenly. Now it sits a little higher than the middle on the copper part of the heatsink, but does sit a little better. It just doesn't sit right on my mobo cause of that capacitor. :( Temps did go down a little down to around 42 or 43, but still nothing how it should be.

I had a similar problem with my ninja, the only solution is to cut/grind away the offending piece of metal if it's possible and if it doesn't significantly reduce the structure's strength/ mounting pressure.

Back