E6300 @ 2.7GHZ VS e8400 @ 3ghz

No, but with that said most E0 stepping can do 4ghz with ease and that is a huge upgrade over a 2.7ghz e6300.
 
You'd never notice. I'm assuming you're running at least 1680x1050... below that, still doesn't matter, cause you'd just be getting more FPS you don't need / see any actual benefit from.

Possibly in some Source based games (TF2 for example) it could make a difference but... that's it. So unless you're unhappy with TF2 and Counterstrike Source performance... forget it.

Unless your current CPU just isn't cutting it, and you're certain it's the CPU and not the GPU (unlikely)... leave it alone.
 

...but it won't matter. Yes, the number will be higher. No, there will be no actual benefit to said higher number. I'm all about OCing when there are returns, which is to say when it lets you raise settings and maintain smooth, playable framerates... but if your setting are being held back by your GPU and not your CPU... OCing the CPU is jut using more power, and replacing it is just using more money. No return.
 
...but it won't matter. Yes, the number will be higher. No, there will be no actual benefit to said higher number. I'm all about OCing when there are returns, which is to say when it lets you raise settings and maintain smooth, playable framerates... but if your setting are being held back by your GPU and not your CPU... OCing the CPU is jut using more power, and replacing it is just using more money. No return.

That's not necessarily true. A C2D at 2.7GHz could be a bottleneck in certain situations. It's only once you get past ~3GHz that there isn't any substantial improvement.
 
That's not necessarily true. A C2D at 2.7GHz could be a bottleneck in certain situations. It's only once you get past ~3GHz that there isn't any substantial improvement.

Even if it's "bottlenecking" (and I hate this term) if you're getting 60 FPS... doesn't matter. And in most cases, if not all, but most, a GPU upgrade is going to do a lot more than a CPU upgrade. Also, his current chip should be capable of a good bit more, so buying a new chip... doesn't make any sense. Another 300Mhz is nothing. Crank it to 3.0, 3.2, 3.6, and leave it alone.
 
Yea, it's worth it. A used one runs about $130 and will do 4.0Ghz on air easily. With the extra cache, it will be much faster than a 6300 @ 2.7.
 
I'd crank the 6300 up to 3-3.2Ghz and leave it at that. If you still have performance issues in games then it's more than likely the GPU holding you back. But with a 9800GT games should run relatively smooth. So who knows. The more cache in the 8400 is definately a bonus, and running at 4Ghz is nice for Source games. My old Opty 165 ran CS:S with no problems though, so I can't see your 6300 holding you back there.
 
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I need a new case before I can get it any higher because my heatsink somewhat sits on top of a capacitor and the case itself doesnt give it enough room to cool right.
 
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I need a new case before I can get it any higher because my heatsink somewhat sits on top of a capacitor and the case itself doesnt give it enough room to cool right.

Indeed that Tunic Tower isn't very tiny
 
I'd crank the 6300 up to 3-3.2Ghz and leave it at that. If you still have performance issues in games then it's more than likely the GPU holding you back. But with a 9800GT games should run relatively smooth. So who knows. The more cache in the 8400 is definately a bonus, and running at 4Ghz is nice for Source games. My old Opty 165 ran CS:S with no problems though, so I can't see your 6300 holding you back there.


I wish I could be so lucky, my E6300 hits a brick wall at 2.4Ghz and absolutely will not go past it no matter what I do!!
 
I wish I could be so lucky, my E6300 hits a brick wall at 2.4Ghz and absolutely will not go past it no matter what I do!!

You got the stock cooler? What's your mobo? Might be time to look into a cpu upgrade if your mobo is game
 
Yea I am on the edge of doing a upgrade again just thinking I should wait till I move all my stuff back to Japan, right now I am running the MSi 650 SLi Fi board, as for the cooler I am running a Zalman.

I really think its the board, which has been really solid for me, not one real issue to complain of, but as of late I sorta fell off keeping up with the computer stuff due to work for a few months and now I feel so far behind I don't think I will ever catch up hahaha.
 
Your call on the pre/post Japan decision. But you could always upgrade the mobo now and keep the cpu you got. If in fact the mobo was your handicap a new mobo might enable you to OC your E6300 a few hundred more Mhz [as 6300's tend to hit 3Ghz more often than not]. Get all the miles you can out of the 6300 and then in awhile make a serious cpu upgrade depending on your budget to a E8500 or Q9550 something like that
 
I wish I could be so lucky, my E6300 hits a brick wall at 2.4Ghz and absolutely will not go past it no matter what I do!!



Mine hits 2.7ghz on stock cooler. I bought the Tunic because I wanted to go farther with cooler temps. I'm gonna have to upgrade my motherboard and case if I want to do that though. I figure I'll keep it like this for a good while till I see something else that interest me; most likely a quad core in the future.
 
It will be faster but only about 10% faster which, in my eyes, is not justified by the upgrade. I would say that you should stick with your E6300 for a while longer and upgrade when you feel that performance is greatly lacking. Other than that, not worth it.
 
Back
Top