• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E5800 Upgrade....?

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 31, 2001
Messages
15,181
I currently have (as my secondary Desktop) an Pentium Dual Core (wolfdale) E5800+EP35C-DS3R that I love that runs linux (4G ddr3, Radeon 5750)
I'm thinking of swapping out motherboard+cpu for an i3-2100+BOXDP67DEB3

My cost would be about $105.

Worth it? I do virtualization, some linux gaming and really am hoping to move to lower power usage+something modern....
 
Last edited:
Unrelated question:

Why are you running such an OLD videocard?

I mean, that thing has to be either AGP (not possible on your mobo), or PCI (non-express).



EDIT: Op has edited his post, but it said before he was running a Radeon 7500.
 
Unrelated question:

Why are you running such an OLD videocard?

I mean, that thing has to be either AGP (not possible on your mobo), or PCI (non-express).



EDIT: Op has edited his post, but it said before he was running a Radeon 7500.

Yeah it was a typo :) It was actually a 5750...sorry for the confusion :)
 
On to your question then:

For 105$, the upgrade is 100% worth it. Not only will the i3 2100 be immensely faster than any previous generation dual core (including LGA 1156 i3), but it will be cooler, more power friendly and longer lasting, since in essence you have a four threaded CPU.

Heck, it's even faster than some older Quads.

I say go for it.
 
Back
Top