E5 Xeon list

Nathan_P

[H]ard DCOTM x3
I've put together a quick list of all the E5 Xeon ES chip for those who are looking to maybe go down this route for a possible folding rig. It still early days and i'm still finding info out so bear with me.

If anyone spots any problems or has more info either post here or PM me.

E5 Xeon list

Ok lots of research has indicated that B* stepping chips are problematic to say the least. Support in most mobo BIOS's has already been dropped for B1/B2 due to the flakiness of the cpu's
B0 cpu's are better and I have run a pair for months with few problems, however the upgrade to Ivy-E means that support for these is being pulled as well. IF you are buying now and want to upgrade later a C* stepping chip is a much better bet.

Oh and downgrading the BIOS appears not to work, at least not on the Z9PE-D8

Last edited:
Very nice!

If you are going to list for the Xeon Sandy ES, make column for socket? Aren't they 1155 and 2011? Dunno.

Last edited:
E5-x4xx are LGA1356
E5-x6xx are LGA2011

First digit tells you how many physical processors are supported by the CPU. (1,2,4)

There's also a spicy QBY4 that i'm not sure of the specs.

I focused on E5 as its 2p/4p capable, which given our preferences is of more use. If however any wants a 1p E3/E5 or even a E7 list then I will see what I can do. The same also applies for Nehalem based CPU's

Last edited:
QBEB/C/D all *seem* to be C1 to me.

QB83 are C0s.

Not sure what different qSpecs indicate, tough.
From -alias-' pics one can see that QBEC have add'l "NO BURN IN" text (vs QBED).

Just back from hol's so i'll get updating in the next couple of days.

Would it make sense to add the all-core turbo frequency to the spreadsheet? I just re-read the 4P E5-4850 thread and saw that the C1 stepping ES CPUs have all-core Turbo of 3.1GHz whereas the retail E5-4850 limit it to 2.9GHz. It would be nice to understand if C0 stepping has all-core Turbo of 3.1GHz as well.

Same goes for any differences in E5-26xx steppings like the E5-2680 / E5-2690 variants. Thanks!

Would it make sense to add the all-core turbo frequency to the spreadsheet? I just re-read the 4P E5-4850 thread and saw that the C1 stepping ES CPUs have all-core Turbo of 3.1GHz whereas the retail E5-4850 limit it to 2.9GHz. It would be nice to understand if C0 stepping has all-core Turbo of 3.1GHz as well.

Same goes for any differences in E5-26xx steppings like the E5-2680 / E5-2690 variants. Thanks!

C0 does 3.1 all core. on both my E5-2680 and 4650

Nice idea but I get my info mainly from what is posted around the web and fleabay - turbo is not always posted but if people start posting their all core turbo speeds and S-Spec codes I can add it

We've seen QBEB chips advertised as 4650s, so... someone needs to give them a shot in a 4P :-o

There are several chips on Ebay that have the same stepping code as a different CPU, as results are posted I will amend the list but at the moment I can only list what I see

Only retail C2 have VT-D confirmed working
It is also confirmed broken on C1.

C0? no one knows if it was broken in C1 or just not fixed yet.

Not sure anyone has targeted such a low clocked chip for a 1p... doesn't make sense.

Updated the list with the info provided by brilong. As more info comes out further updates will be added

Edit:- Some more v2 info added

Last edited:
I've got an odd little one you guys might be interested in :). I haven't been able to find any info on the web about these ones.

E5-2680v2 Extra spicy. But she's a QE50 stepping with USA stamped on them rather than Costa Rica like most I've seen.

2.8ghz default, 3.1 all core turbo and 3.3 single core turbo all appears fully functional. Haven't had any issues with them at all so far, running them in 2P with ECC ram. CPU-Z has trouble detecting the voltage though (core temp looks like it can though). But CPU-Z reports these chips as actual E5-2680v2's, unlike some of the other extra spicy chips that aren't even detected as xeons properly.

Last edited:
Interesting. Can you post a hwinfo64 snapshot for it?

I've got an odd little one you guys might be interested in :). I haven't been able to find any info on the web about these ones.

E5-2680v2 Extra spicy. But she's a QE50 stepping with USA stamped on them rather than Costa Rica like most I've seen.

Hello guys,

Looking to buy Xeon ES 2650L QB7Z from here:
www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2650...70W-/261245442558?pt=CPUs&hash=item3cd37119fe

Do anybody of you have had a chance to run this CPU on ASUS Z9PA-U8 (Single socket Mobo)? If so, does QB7Z support VT-D? What bios version was flashed on to the motherboard?

Kind regards,
Yuriy

This is a bit of a late reply, but I figured I'd post an update on this with my own experiences. BTW, thanks to everyone that contributed to the compilation of the Xeon list... helped to decide what I wanted!

I purchased a QB7Z (C0 stepping) on eBay a bit less than 2 weeks ago for fairly cheap -- $120 USD shipped, and used it successfully to test a native Windows 7 x64 install on an MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) motherboard with the latest 12.7 BIOS.

Thinking I would not be able to achieve passthrough on the system above with ESXi, I got familiar with ESXi 5.5 U1 and VT-d on another older platform -- a Gigabyte X59A-UD3R v2.0 motherboard with FH1 BIOS (VT-d enabled in BIOS) with an Intel Core i7 920 processor. I sorted out that I needed to integrate drivers for the Realtek NIC and patch the native ESXi AHCI drivers and managed to install ESXi and create a Win7 x64 VM on it. Useful to mention, a 'flaw' of this particular motherboard with ESXi is that enabling VT-d bugs detection of devices on the Marvell 9128 (SATA3) controller, so I was forced to move my drives to the native (but slower) SATA2 controller to keep VT-d support enabled. See this link for details.

Anyway, after a bit of testing, I used the vSphere client to pass through a PowerColor Radeon HD 6770 card with no issues after installing the VMWare Tools package and latest AMD/ATI Catalyst 14.4 drivers. Windows' Device Manager status showed 'This device is working properly'. Next, I tried running GPU-z v0.7.8, and it was able to read Fan Speed %, GPU Temperature, Load, and Clocks. Next, I installed BOINC, and tried running some OpenCL PPS (Sieve) tasks from the PrimeGrid project, and I saw the GPU fan speed up, GPU Load bump to 99% and seemed like it was working fine, so at this point I had a good handle of how to tell if it succeeded with the MSI/QB7Z system.

Next, I setup ESXi 5.5 U1 and the Windows 7 x64 VM in the same way I did above with the MSI/QB7Z system using the same PowerColor Radeon HD 6770 as the passthrough device. The only difference here was that I needed to patch the ESXi ISO image with Intel NIC drivers. I then repeated the same steps as above, and amazingly enough it worked! I can definitely confirm that I was able to do VT-d passthrough on an AMD Radeon HD 6770 card with a QB7Z (C0 stepping) CPU running on an MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) motherboard with 12.7 BIOS. :)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Massive amount of updating just done, added v3 (haswell) list and added a load of v2 chips as well

Apologies for digging up an old post, I have recently been given a xeon E5 2630 V3 ES in the QEYW stepping which going from the list is an L0 stepping, does anyone know if there are any issues with this stepping? I am asking as i wonder if it is worth getting the rest of the kit to get it working (like £250 worth so only really worth it for me if there won't be any glaring issues) whilst I'm not new to xeons I am fairly new to the pre-launch stepping stuff so im not too sure if L0 is any good or not.

Many thanks in advance

Back