• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E5-1650 v3 vs E5-1650 v4

Joined
May 21, 2013
Messages
10
Hello,

I'm selecting hardware components for my new workstation.

MB is X10SRA (from Supermicro)

I think, I'm better off with E5-1650 v3 instead of "bleeding edge" E5-1650 v4.

Am I right?

Thank you!
 
For cost savings? Yes, if you can find a good deal.

For stock performance? No, the V4 will be a faster (~5% IPC improvement, 200MHz faster turbo and 100MHz faster base clock, and 2400MHz DDR4 support vs 2133).

If your motherboard supports over clocking then the V3 will be a better choice. I've seen reports that the V4 is locked down for multiplier over clocking. The V3 is unlocked making it much faster than the V4 can be if you want to over clock. On that note, it is highly likely that the V4 won't support faster than 2400MHz RAM while the V3 can.
 
Just make sure the motherboard supports the new CPU.

It might require a BIOS update, which can be inconvenient if the motherboard won't POST with the V4 CPU.
 
Usually no - it's just a matter of burning the update to a disc (or some motherboards let you use a USB drive) and updating it from within BIOS or from within Windows (if that is supported).

However, you should email or call Supermicro's tech support to see if that motherboard supports the V4 CPU out of the box or if it needs an update. If it needs an update, ask them if you can boot with a V4 CPU and perform the update.
 
Here's the email response from Supermicro Computer's Technical Support:
X10 motherboard with BIOS 2.0 will support Intel CPU V4 and backward compatible with Intel CPU V3. When you purchase the system, please make sure with the Sale Representative(s) that the X10 motherboard BIOS is version 2.0, if you plan to install Intel V4.


If the X10 motherboard’ BIOS came with the system is below version 2.0 (by default, when it first released to the market), you need to plug in an Intel CPU V3 to the motherboard then update it to BIOS version 2.0. When done, remove the Intel CPU V3 and install Intel CPU V4.
 
So you'll need to contact the vendor that you plan on making the purchase from to see if the motherboard is the 2.0 BIOS revision.

If it isn't the 2.0 revision then you'll have to stick with a V3 CPU, or find someone with a V3 CPU (a friend or a computer repair shop) that can boot with theirs and flash the updated BIOS for you.

That's the reason why I stay away from full server grade boards and stick with EVGA. Many of their boards feature a removable/replacable BIOS chip - all you have to do is call up EVGA and they will send out an updated BIOS on a chip that you pop in.
 
No problem - just be aware that the EVGA boards are for enthusiasts and aren't full server grade, as such they don't support ECC RAM.

Yet many Xeons are supported, the V4's haven't been added to the list yet but most are. Just give EVGA a call to be sure, but the E5-1650 V4 should be.

I use the EVGA X99 Classified, and it works well - I might even get a 1660 or 1680 V3 when they become cheaper after the next HEDT CPU's are out. So you know, there are some discrete RAID card issues - I know that the 7XXX series from Adaptec will not work, yet the 8XXX series works fine.
 
These days I always try to get a board with IPMI so that I can remotely reboot / access the terminal if I need so I prefer SuperMicro boards for servers.
 
The bigger question - where the hell can you actually get a V4 in the US? sigh...
 
I suppose., although they are all through these smaller suppliers...I still have an irrational distrust of the Amazon return policy. Thanks for pointing that out though; Amazon didn't have them listed a couple of weeks ago
 
Back
Top