• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E4600 - New to Overclocking

Joined
Sep 3, 2005
Messages
6
This is my first post here, I think anways. I just wanted to know if I am getting good results with the setup I have. Right now, I have a mATX setup with fairly cheap parts. I had to get an E4600 so I could get the 8800GTS 512. I only use my computer for Counter-Strike: Source, but I play competitivly. Right now I am at 3.2, but is isn't very stable, ti will freeze from time to time during playing sessions. I just wanted to know if there is anything to do to make my overclock more stable.

 
I am using the Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L. I didn't see anything about NorthBridge, so I don't know the default voltage. -_-
 
I am using the Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L. I didn't see anything about NorthBridge, so I don't know the default voltage. -_-

NB voltage is also known as MCH (Memory Controller Hub) voltage. I would change to the next highest and see if you see any more stability. If not, try the next one. I wouldn't go too high on it though.

Also, it might be your memory voltage. I would take that up a step or two higher. Try to avoid anything above 2.1v.
 
I just went through the entire bios, and couldn't find anything for the NB. -_-

I had it at 3.2 for a long time while play games for a few hours straight. Then I go to sign into CEVO Match Comm and play my match, but I blue screened.!!! !>!>!
 
I don't gigabyte matx mobo don't have a option to change the NB voltage. I have similar gigabyte mobo and it doesn't have the option to change NB voltage or the memory voltage.....
 
Hmm, loose timings. For starters, what if you try 1:1 for ram, or 4:5, or 2:3?

3:5 that you're running now is from the 200strap. Overclocking to 266 while on that strap should be fine, but if not, 4:5 and 2:3 should be in the 266strap. I don't know if 1:1 is even available to you yet or if you'd need to go up to 333fsb area before it becomes available.

edit: as far as the motherboard is concerned, it should be able to hit high fsb's without issue at stock voltages, assuming you're on a viable ram divider, so don't worry about not having a voltage setting. The cpu would probably hit a fsb wall in the mid-high 300's though, although that still gives you plenty of room.

Try different ram speeds first and see what's up
 
I had to reformat since I was getting some weird errors with everything at default. Once I reformatted, I went back and overclocked it all from the beginning again. I took the advice of running the memory at 2.00, it didn't work. However, it did run at 2.5. So once I found it to be stable at 3.0GHZ, I upped it slowly to 3.3. It is finally stable, I ran all Sisoft CPU benchmarks multiple times. My VCore is pretty high at 1.45, and I am going to slowly take it down, but I am happy right now.

This is all in a mATX setup, and this is my first real overclock. I would recommend this motherboard to anyone who is interested in running a SFF setup and is low on money!
 
Nice....BTW....Congradualations on the overclock!

Most low end cheap Gigabyte motherboards don't have much tweaks for overclocking!

Thats why Asus dominates in the oc'ing arena along with the EVGA series!

But Gigabyte is still alright due to their low cost for preformance value!
 
Bit of a thread revival, but I have a very stable 3.12GHz oc right now (see sig), and I'm really happy with the performance - COD4 is a lot of fun!
 
I have an E4500 that i've been running at 3.3ghz @ 1.35v easily hit 3.5ghz but too much vcore for my tastes to make it stable so i bumped it down to 3.3ghz though this could all be because i have a DFI P35 Board ;)
 
With some of the Gigabyte boards I've used one has to press Ctrl + F1 on the main screen to "unlock" the advanced overclocking options.
 
With some of the Gigabyte boards I've used one has to press Ctrl + F1 on the main screen to "unlock" the advanced overclocking options.

I have a couple of those which once you press the two keys, you get only the advanced RAM timings tweak adjustments....really handy to those with touchy hands and not know what they are doing!

My 4700 is made in Costa Rica
 
Back
Top