• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E4600 C2D to E6700 P DC

artimusbill

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
341
I am looking to upgrade the wife's computer without spending much. Looking at the specs, these two CPUs seem like basically the same, with just bus speed, and cpu speed differences. She plays Everquest 2, and from most statements I have read, CPU speed is more important than more cores (EQ2 is a fairly old engine). Would there be a downside to going from the C2D E4600 to the Pentium DC E6700 that I am missing?

I figure I can upgrade to the E6700, and upgrade her Radeon X1900 xt to something like a radeon 6670 for less than $200. She already has 4gb ram, and a 24", 1080p monitor. I think these upgrades would help a good bit.

Thank you
 
if you're going to stay with S775, why not get a higher-end cpu? you can get a used e8400 for about $100 in the FS/FT forum for a little more than the cost of a new e6700, and it'd probably run a lot faster (triple the L2 cache). Other than that, there shouldn't be a downside to upgrading to the e6700.
 
Try upgrading to a q8200 or q8300 i think your computer might support it but warywolf is right, get a highend cpu its cheap these days.
 
Back
Top