• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E4500 Pin Mod

Demon10000

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 20, 2006
Messages
4,502
Greetings.

I tried to search for the answer to my question, but it seems search is disabled. So my apologies if the answer is within these forums already.

I recently picked up an e4500. I'm not big into overclocking, but I've read about the pin mods and it seems like a really, really easy way to bring the FSB up from 800 to 1066 for a "free" overclock.

Has anyone pin modded a e4500, or have any links to articles on it? I found lots of articles for the 4300 (and as I understand it, they're basically the same chip), but nothing on the 4500 other than people saying it should work. I'd love to hear from someone who's done it, though.

Are all the C2D pin mods the same? Can I use the guide on the e4300 to do the e4500?

I was planning on using a conductive pen to make the trace. I've never used these things before, so I'm not to familiar with them. Is there a way to remove the trace if you wanted to undo the FSB mod? Many of the guides I read say to use scotch tape -- I assumed it was to make sure you didn't join two of the wrong pads. However, I started thinking that maybe they were running the trace over the scotch tape so they could undo it by lifting the tape off . CPUs get pretty hot though, and I thought maybe the tape would melt and break the trace, or worse -- maybe catch on fire?

Thanks in advance for any help.
 
they are the same chip, the 4300 just has a lower multiplier. If it works for the 4300, I'm sure it works for the 4500.
 
scotch tape won't ignite until well into temperatures where your CPU/board would already be dead.

341°C for polyethylene

380-460°C for polypropylene
 
I have an E4300 pin modded. I used read window defogger. Masked off the contacts with regular scotch tape and painted it on. No voltage increase or anything like that. Just running on a budget ECS board.

No different than pin moddding the E4500, except maybe the E4500 would need more voltage. Depends on the chip though.
 
Depending on your board, it might just be easier to manually raise the FSB. Pin modding is usually done with motherboards that don't have manual FSB adjustment, but if you do there's no need to do a pin mod and it would be easier to make the same changes through the BIOS.
 
Back
Top