E4300 vs E6300

SkewdAtom

n00b
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
10
I am about to finally upgrade my system from an Athlon 64 3400+ and I've narrowed down my selections to the last two processors, the E4300 and the E6300. I know there are price cuts coming in April, but I have rebates and coupon codes I need to use up by the end of February.

I keep reading conflicting articles about which one is a better deal. Some say the E4300 is easier to overclock and others have said the E6300 is better because it is faster out of the box.

What I need to know is with the following mobo, memory, and price, what is the better deal performance-wise.

Right now I am getting the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 and a 2GB kit of OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Dual Channel memory with the processors.

The E6300 with that combo is $426 and the E4300 is $415.

I would assume the E6300 for $11 more is the better deal, but I would like to get some second opinions before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.
 
E4300 = 9x multiplier
E6300 = 7x multiplier

Off the bat, the E4300 would have a small edge over the E6300 in the ease of overclocking because you aren't required to get a high fsb to reach the desired speed, which in turn net you a wider choice of memory (cheaper too).

However, with the same setup and good RAM, I would tend to prefer the E6300 because it has VT (E4300 doesn't have it) and it tend to overclock slighty higher.
 
right now VT is not a must. if overclocking get 4300, as xilikon says"slight edge". but if u can hold off, intel goona release a new set of 6300 w/ 4mb cache. but if u want now, i'd prefer the 4300.
 
Thanks \.

I went with the E4300 and the DS3 Rev 3.3 instead for a few bucks more. That way I can add a Quad Core with the same setup later on.
 
Back
Top