• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

e4300 to e8400?

RayDaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
1,541
i run a e4300 at about 3.0 ghz most of the time. i was thinking of upgrading to an e8400 and taking it to like 3.5 or so. how much of a gain will i see and is it worth it?

Or should i get on new tech. I7 920 or something? kinda pricey though. Is it worth another $480 on top of all the rest to go there?

Gonna upgrade my card to gtx 260 192 from a 8800gts 320. can e4300 handle that card at 3.0 or do i need to upgrade to not bottleneck card?
 
if u can get an e8400 for 100 or cheaper i say do it. im sure u can 3.8-4ghz
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
do you think that is better than spending the $400 additional to upgrade to 920 x58? think the 8400 gtx 260 will get me another year down the road playing all new games at good settings at 1650 or something like that?

I can go for $310
e8400
gtx 260
2 x 2gb ram

or i can go for $700
i7 920
x58 bd
3x1 ram
gtx 260
new psu

think it is better to save $400 now and game for another year or just go the whole nine yard?
 
Tough call. I switched from E6750 to E8400, then E8600 and I still wanted the new tech. Just ordered an 1156 mobo, but already changed my mind. Going 1366 now.

I say make the jump.
 
Have you considered going to a Q9550 or Q9650? That was my plan for replacing my E8400 until I lucked into an E8700.
 
I tried to get an E8700, but didn't have the money when I could find one. blackacidevil is right though, you could go Q, but if I was gonna stay the same socket, I would try for a QX.
 
if u can get an e8400 for 100 or cheaper i say do it. im sure u can 3.8-4ghz
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

^ what he said. If you can get a used chip for cheap go for it and clock it to 4.0 the difference will be very good, I wouldn't buy a new one, in that case go for new tech.
 
Last edited:
I upgraded from a 3Ghz e6400 to a 3.8Ghz e8400 and have been pleased with the results. My e6400 couldn't run modded Oblivion smoothly since that game only uses one core. My e8400 fixed that issue, and seems to play every other game smoothly as far as CPU usage goes.

So, I agree with the other posters stating that if you can find a used e8400 for <$100 (easy to do), then go that route. Should last you a year.
 
I still say get the E6300 and clock it to 4.0ghz, save the money you would've spent on the E8400.
 
do you think that is better than spending the $400 additional to upgrade to 920 x58? think the 8400 gtx 260 will get me another year down the road playing all new games at good settings at 1650 or something like that?

I can go for $310
e8400
gtx 260
2 x 2gb ram

or i can go for $700
i7 920
x58 bd
3x1 ram
gtx 260
new psu

think it is better to save $400 now and game for another year or just go the whole nine yard?

Well, I have nearly that same exact system (see sig). My e8400 (first stepping) only did 3.98 Ghz stable with lots of juice, so I used to run it at 3.8Ghz, then recently after tweaking it with a Kill-a-Watt for power usage, I've decided to run it at 3.6Ghz with low volts.

I've been very happy with my e8400 and still am, as I think its lasted me longer than any other CPU upgrade. I've thought about going quad core (penryn), then about going to Core i7, etc... but I haven't had any problems with my high speed dual core.

Every other CPU has only lasted approx. a year or less, where I've had the e8400 for over 2 years. (thats a long time FOR ME) Off the top of my head:
P3 600e, 700e, P4 1.6a, P4 2.4C, P4 3.4EE, Pentium D 920, Core 2 Duo e6400, e8400

Want to buy my e8400? Then maybe I'll upgrade to Penryn and keep that for another year +.
 
Personally I'd rather spend the additional $480 to get a brand new setup with a quad core then upgrade from a dual core to a faster dual core.
 
I went for the $480 except instead of the 260 I went GTX 275 OC for an extra $50 so $530 thanks guys parts on the way let you know haow it turns out.
 
Back
Top