E4300 Superchip!!!

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
Haha...didn't mean for the thread title to be so lame, but I'm overall in a pretty good mood with my progress so far with this CPU.

Long story short, I'm sitting with a 3.2GHz E4300 running at only 1.312v under load and still using the stock cooler to boot. :D

I still seem to have more room to stretch (even with the stock cooler) and I'm gonna go for 3.3GHz right away, but as soon as I get a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme I expect to see 3.6GHz fall quickly.

Not looking for any world records here, but I checked the Conroe overclocking database here at [H] and couldn't find anyone else with an E4300 hitting 3.2GHz with an undervolted CPU on stock cooling and thought it might be worth "shouting" about.

I don't have much for benchmarks yet, as I haven't taken much time to benchmark this thing during the stresstesting...but I'm just shy of 100k in Aquamark3 with a single X850XT at stock clocks and my OCZ PC2-8500 @ 1,070MHz 5-5-5-15 2T. :cool:

Here's the most recent Orthos "pass" screenshot:

orthossmallfft356x9535mys9.jpg

More updates to come, not sure exactly when I'll be getting the Ultra-120 Extreme for the CPU and HR-05 on the NB...but I'll hopefully be able to pull off 3.3GHz with the stock cooler in the meantime.

Hehe...with a single bump up in NB PLL voltage I can get into windows with enough stability to complete a few runs of SuperPi 1M at 3.3GHz /w 1.312v. :D

I'm lovin' this thing...hopefully 3.3GHz turns out alright, but then I MIGHT have to get rid of the stock cooler. :D

A bit of an "interesting" turn of events...nothing I couldn't probably figure out, but I'm off to bed I'm off to bed and wanted to see what you guys thought.

I have the shutdown temp disabled in the BIOS but it can be set as low as 85C. I need 1.375v in BIOS to start Orthos @ 3.3GHz, but after a few minutes, the system shuts down without warning.

At first I thought that it was related to the shutdown temperature, but now that it's disabled and the shutdowns still occur I'm not so sure.

I have yet to figure out 100% if my CPU has a tJunction of 85 or 100 degrees, but even with TAT running I only get up to about 76C or so when the system shuts down...so even if the shutdown temp was still in effect the CPU isn't getting nearly that hot.

Just wondering if anyone has seen something similar with other C2D chips.

I realize I'm pushing the limits of the stock cooler, but it doesn't seem to be a huge temperature issue yet so I'm not stopping. I'll give it some more attention in the morning...hopefully I figure something out.

Yeah you need to back the OC down for the stock cooler bud and get something good. 76C definitely is getting up there. Especially since that is on low volts even. You may need to raise your volts to get it stable. Personally, id just back it down to 3ghz and be happy but.....

That is a decent oc but....definitely no superchip. If you want to see superchip ocs at 4.6ghz on E4300's, go to xtremesystems. :p Those are superchips.

Those are also on "super" cooling...there aren't nearly as many people running 3.2GHz perfectly stable with less then stock voltage and stock cooling. I'm not making a claim that I have THE E4300...just that it's above average and using it as a chance to share my results with you guys.

Also...it's not certain that it's actually running at that high of a temp...I'm working on determining whether my CPU has a tJunction of 85 or 100 degrees...I was merely using TAT to see if the CPU was getting hot enough to trigger the shutdown temp in the BIOS...and it wasn't.

Not only are they running extreme cooling, they are also running fully modde MoBo's as well (full volt mods and the like), not something that you would use on a 24/7 system..........:D

Not only are they running extreme cooling, they are also running fully modde MoBo's as well (full volt mods and the like), not something that you would use on a 24/7 system..........:D

Correct...and this thing has been folding at 3.2GHz 1.312v stock cooling for a few days now, and goes 9+ hours in Orthos Small FFT's...so I'm fairly happy with it.

I'm straying from my roots and not bothering to find any kind of "max OC" like I would have done a couple years ago...no more benchmarking partitions or separate benchmarking setups...just the maximum 24/7 stable OC I can hit...much more down to earth.

Things are still going well though, I'm gonna try and find out why the system is shutting down on my, because the shutdown temp is disabled in BIOS and this thing shouldn't start to throttle quite yet so we'll see. :)

I wouldn't be trusting CPU Z 100% for the temps.
Run Intel TAT and see what the temp of the cores are.

Thats a very impressive OC you have there.
But if I were you I would back off to 3.0Ghz at least, till I got a better cooler!

I wouldn't be trusting CPU Z 100% for the temps.
Run Intel TAT and see what the temp of the cores are.

Thats a very impressive OC you have there.
But if I were you I would back off to 3.0Ghz at least, till I got a better cooler!

I'm assuming you mean Core Temp for the temps...but there's something you need to know, not all E4300's have a tJunction of 100C, some are actually set at 85C and 0.95 Core Temp and TAT are actually wrong for some CPU's, Intel just won't say which chips have what tJunction. I'm working on finding out what mine is...but for now I reference both Core Temp 0.94 and TAT for comparison for a "just in case" reference.

No reason to back off the OC...it's been folding for 3 days at 3.2GHz 1.312v stock cooling and passes Orthos SmallFFT's for a good 9-12 hours...until I get bored and shut it off. :p

Doesn't TAT have an issue with E4XXX series where it reports a temperature of 10-15c higher then what it actually is?

Doesn't TAT have an issue with E4XXX series where it reports a temperature of 10-15c higher then what it actually is?

It's depends on the CPU.

Some E6300 and E6400's that are of the L2 revision are monitored incorrectly by TAT and Core Temp 0.95, but there are some L2 revision C2D's that actually do have a tJunction of 100C that TAT and Core Temp 0.95 are designed for. Problem is that Intel will not/has not released any definite tJunction values for any later processors, so nobody really has any idea out of the box which results to trust.

Check out this thread towards the end though...there is testing that can be done to determine whether your L2 revision E4300/E4400 has a tJunction of 85C or 100C.

As I said, I reference both TAT and Core Temp 0.94 just in case TAT is right so I know if I MIGHT be going overboard with my CPU temp, but it's not that TAT has an "issue" with 4000 series CPU's...it's that it's guessing/assuming that they all have a 100C tJunction...which is not true.

cornelious0_0: I also had the same sort of experiences when CoreTemp would get up to about 75C while running Orthos at 3400 MHz with the stock cooler it would simply reboot.

By using the same voltage and backing off to 3200 MHz, Orthos would run fine even with temperatures now bouncing off the throttling point of 83C.

Here's another interesting thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1192102&page=2

You might want to try a small bump in volts just to see what happens but you might be nearing the maximum for your chip with the stock cooler.

I'm thinkin' I might be getting close to the stock cooler's max capabilities, but still not 100% sure. It is true (as you said in the link you posted) that temps do have to be lower at higher OC's to remain stable...which is something I've always known/said...and it would make perfect sense that my CPU can do 3.2GHz @ 1.312v but at 3.3GHz the temp that it's running at is a little to high FOR THAT CLOCK and it's shutting down as a result.

I'll still dot he 1.2GHz low voltage testing to confirm whether I should be looking at Core Temp 0.95 or 0.94, but I'm feeling a lot better about this whole thing as of late.

Thanks again, i'll have test results later today.

SpeedFan is a good temperature monitoring option once you find out what your real TjMax value for your processor is. It has the option to set an offset of +/- 15 depending on what problem you have; whether your temps are being reported 15C too high or too low.

I also like its graphing abilities. Unlike TAT, the temperatures reported by CoreTemp and SpeedFan are both directly related to the digital thermal sensor ( DTS ) in the Core 2 Duo. TAT seems to have a little bit of randomness from day to day in its results depending on its mood. Kind of like my girlfriend! :D

SpeedFan is a good temperature monitoring option once you find out what your real TjMax value for your processor is. It has the option to set an offset of +/- 15 depending on what problem you have; whether your temps are being reported 15C too high or too low.

I also like its graphing abilities. Unlike TAT, the temperatures reported by CoreTemp and SpeedFan are both directly related to the digital thermal sensor ( DTS ) in the Core 2 Duo. TAT seems to have a little bit of randomness from day to day in its results depending on its mood. Kind of like my girlfriend! :D

Haha...too funy, sounds good man.

Thanks again for everything, i'll be sure to (more then likely) start using speedfan again once I/we get this figured out, but as long as I know what version of Core Temp to look at I'll be fine. :)

I have my E4300 at 3.25ghz with 1.45 vcore, nice and stable. It's been folding 24/7 for 3 weeks now, never gets above 60C water cooled.

I have my E4300 at 3.25ghz with 1.45 vcore, nice and stable. It's been folding 24/7 for 3 weeks now, never gets above 60C water cooled.

I'm sure I could do 3.25GHz as opposed to 3.3GHz but it's tough to say, but I'm still undervolted at 1.312v with 24/7 stability on stock air cooling at 3.2GHz.

Damn I can't wait for the Ultra-120...dunno if I'll be going water though, I'm sure this thing would fly under h2O though. :D

A little teaser for the CPU data base if/when someone passes up my current top score...................:D
Only differance is that my current one is with my 680i LT MoBo along with much better memory timings.
Still haven't been able to get the 3.7 stable yet.............:( and the board is out of vCore adjustments, so I guess this is as high as I'm going.................;)

36ghzcy1.jpg

Bio-Hazard, what is your CPU voltage set to in BIOS? On air cooling if you actually are at 1.213v then I bow before your godly E4300...but something seems fishy. :p

Good news is that I finished the testing to determine my tJunction temp.

My room temp is 18C at the moment and clocked at 1.2GHz /w 1.1v (actually a little higher) my idle temps are 19C and 23C on Core 1 and 2 respecitvely. There's no way at this low clock/voltage level I'm actually idling at 36C...so I'm glad.

Thank you so much unclewebb for all your help...I'm so relieved to finally have this figured out, and I'm spreading the word about the original thread/testing all over XS and wherever I can.

Bio-Hazard, what is your CPU voltage set to in BIOS? On air cooling if you actually are at 1.213v then I bow before your godly E4300...but something seems fishy. :p

My room temp is 18C at the moment and clocked at 1.2GHz /w 1.1v (actually a little higher) my idle temps are 19C and 23C on Core 1 and 2 respecitvely. There's no way at this low clock/voltage level I'm actually idling at 36C...so I'm glad.

Thank you so much unclewebb for all your help...I'm so relieved to finally have this figured out, and I'm spreading the word about the original thread/testing all over XS and wherever I can.

He could be using a good HS cooler.

The voltage is not showing correctly in CPUz..................:eek: CPUz has a problem displaying the correct voltage when its set to 1.4v vcore or above. The only way to get a halfway good vcore reading is from within the system bios, and even those are off a bit sometimes.
The bios setting for the vcore for the 3.6 GHz OC is 1.6 with a actual of 1.55, that's the max on my XFX board, but it's good enough for a good stable OC with Orthos running for 4 hours, good enough to be posted in the CPU data base.

The voltage is not showing correctly in CPUz..................:eek: CPUz has a problem displaying the correct voltage when its set to 1.4v vcore or above. The only way to get a halfway good vcore reading is from within the system bios, and even those are off a bit sometimes.
The bios setting for the vcore for the 3.6 GHz OC is 1.6 with a actual of 1.55, that's the max on my XFX board, but it's good enough for a good stable OC with Orthos running for 4 hours, good enough to be posted in the CPU data base.

I'm assuming on air as well then? I figured it was probably CPU-Z reading it wrong, as I've seen that countless times before. Hopefully I'll be right in line with your results, and now that I know I've got an 85C tJunction I can look more seriously at my temps along the way.

I seriously think that I may not be able to get to much farther past 3.2GHz on stock cooling though, oh well...still a good run for the boxed cooler. :D

I'm not gonna get all anal about off topic discussion as long as it pertains to E4300 overclocking...at least until i get my cooler or have some updates for you guys. :cool:

It's weird...when it shuts down during a run of Small FFTs it's only at 62-65 degrees.

I'm almost wondering what normal behavior is when a CPU hits an FSB wall, because I have seen/heard of a few people hitting FSB walls between 350FSB and 400FSB with their E4300's. I sure hope that's not what it is, and I know that with decent room temps I should be capable of more then this even with the stock cooler...guys on XS have done 3.6GHz /1.525v or so with the stock cooler and been fine, so I think it's either a motherboard voltage/setting or possible NB temps, seeing as I was idling high from the start and this NB heatsink isn't flat at all.

I dunno, I'll keep looking into it, gonna see if I can get info from people who have hit FSB walls to see if they've seen similar behavior or not.

I'll report back with my findings, hopefully I figure something out.

I agree, and the NB temps are getting to the point while overclocked that it's causing instability @ 3.2GHz now as well. For the little bit of gaming I do I'm going to back down to stock clocks for a bit to run it a bit cooler to be on the safe side, as any kind of OC is pushing this concave NB heatsink already, and once I get the Ultra-120 and HR-05 I'll load my 3.2GHz settings and start to work again.

I actually might take it slower and go through the same "burn in" process I always do, going 10FSB at a time and running Orthos Small FFTs for 12 hours each time. I kinda jumped the gun with this chip, but I'm gonna run stock clocks for now (ram still at 1,066 2.25v) but when I get the Ultra-120 and HR-05 I'll start from 300FSB and go up 5-10FSB at a time, running 12 hours Orthos each time, because I know that 3.1GHz is fine on stock voltage/cooling...so 2.7GHz will be my starting point when I get the new coolers.

I also want to wait a bit so that I'm redoing the OC/stresstesting when it's warmer in here and I know that it'll stand up to the added room temperature.

Thanks for all the input everyone, but until i can get the HR-05 and Ultra-120 not much will be happening...probably won't be until late June for my birthday on the 23rd.

Back