• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

e3110 Wolfdale Issue I'm Having...

Ub3rn00b

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 18, 2006
Messages
1,064
I was on an x2 4400 (system in sig) and I went to an
ASUS P5N-D 775 sli motherboard
Got an e3110 wolfdale processor
Installed it...formated hard drive and did a fresh install of XP. Flashed bios to latest version....windows update for like an hour to get all the updates. Downloaded the dual core hot fix.
Now, the system is running pretty good. Got 2gb supertalent ram. Currently running 667 because the place I bought it was out of 800 until today. They said they'll accept the trade today. That MAY be the issue. Not sure just yet.
Got an 8800GT video card. Going to get another soon.
So anyway. The system seems to be running faster than it did before, which it definitely should.
However, I loaded up COD 4 and, at the same settings that I was running before, the game is not running any better. In fact, I think it's running slightly worse.
At 1680x1050 with medium to low settings on my old rig, I would get between 85 and 125 (maxxed at 125 with /com_maxfps 125)

On the current system, it does get to 125, but not all the time like it should at the same settings. It drops as low as 55 fps or so during battles and air strikes, etc.
On a friend of mine's system that is nearly the same, except for an additional 8800gt, he same the game looks like glass. Smooth as hell.

My questions being here:
Is there something in the bios that I need to change to get things working correctly?
Is there some other update or something else that I need to know about getting the core 2 duo (or wolf dale specifically) to run correctly under windows xp?

I have latest bios, latest nforce drivers and latest video card drivers.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this, please let me know.

Also should be noted, I haven't tried any other games yet. However, since COD 4 is my primary game, that's what I need to get running right :D
 
i think the "minor" difference is here "except for an additional 8800gt" sli makes a huge difference in minimum framerate. not in maximum.
 
FPS mainly depends on video card, but it does depends on CPU somewhat. So in order to see some differences, you need to overclock your CPU, GPU or until you get a second 8800gt sli.
 
Ok I should mention some other things I suppose.
The game with my current setup with the e3110 and single 8800gt stutters in cod 4. While it does get up to 125 regularly. It dips below 60 fps sometimes. On my x2 4400 with the 8800gt, it never dipped below around 85fps. Same graphical settings and same resolution.

There is something wrong that has nothing to do with not having enough gpu power.
I can make plenty of guesses as to what it is and be completely wrong on all of them.
I thought maybe someone would konw something about installing a c2d proc on a recent Asus model motherboard that I don't. I know there are some things that should be turned off in the bios, etc. Some software that shouldn't be installed..like some of the things that come on the Asus disk, I've heard.
 
Can you even tell it is slow at 55 fps? It's probably just the difference in motherboards that you are noticing. Both processors are good enough that they aren't bottlenecking the system on COD4.
 
there's no dual core hotfix needed for INTEL, you should also post your game settings
 
so I did a format and fresh install and made sure to have the latest chipset drivers and everything from Asus that I could find (except their utilities...except the AI utility that you apparently have to install to get rid of an "unknown device" in device manager" and all is good now.

Getting a pretty steady 125fps locked in COD 4. Unreal Tournament 3 is running AMAZINGLY better. Team Fortress 2 and CS:S....well I get higher fps...but uhh...I got pretty high fps before so I don't notice any difference.

That's all i have installed just yet.

Astyler: yes I notice the difference at 55fps. I dunno...something to do with monitor refresh rate or whatever. Anyway at 125 fps locked (recommended setting) the guns are smooth, nothing chugs, there are no stutters. At 60 fps with vsync on, it's great too, but then I have mouse lag so I don't use vsync. Without vsync, I need 120fps to get to a level of smoothness equal to 60fps with vsync on.

Of course nobody believes me when I tell them this as though I'm the only one in the world that experiences this phenomenon. Anyway..I'm happy..that is all that matters ;D
 
So you did ANOTHER fresh install ?

well, if you have an unknown device in your hardware list, you had a hardware problem. I assume that was your issue, maybe your chipset drivers were not correct, etc...

Glad to hear you fixed it.

B/c a 3Ghz wolfdale should be blazingly fast.

Now time to update your sig.... and overclock that chip to an EASY 9x400 = 3.6Ghz!!
 
So you did ANOTHER fresh install ?

well, if you have an unknown device in your hardware list, you had a hardware problem. I assume that was your issue, maybe your chipset drivers were not correct, etc...

Glad to hear you fixed it.

B/c a 3Ghz wolfdale should be blazingly fast.

Now time to update your sig.... and overclock that chip to an EASY 9x400 = 3.6Ghz!!

well i installed it on a different hard drive...I wonder if that other drive had a bad sector or somethin...
 
Back
Top