E3000 vs WNDR3700 router

Freezebyte

2[H]4U
Ok, so I finally got sick of researching and thinking about it and just picked up a Linksys E3000 from Wal-mart and start with that. Easy to return if I don't like or failure. So far it seems to be doing well and its nice having wireless N for my Droid X with a bit more speed.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1609713

But once again, I really don't care much about wireless range and speed as everything is wired to be gigabit in my place, only wireless is for my droid with no plans of needing wireless in the near future for anything. Alot of people seem to really like the Netgear 3700 spec wise in comparison to the E3000 or the E4200 from linksys. i'm just wondering what would be better for my heavy gaming and moderate bittorent usage as far as LAN stability and rel-ability needs? I hear alot of newegg complains on the 3700 with dropped LAN connections. I don't care about USB storage or for printer usage either. I just want a router that will handle heavy Xbox 360 and PC gaming traffic and not lock up or crash due to load or heat and will last me years down the road.

If there is another and cheaper suggestion, im open to ideas. I would still really like to have gigabit ethernet WITHOUT buying a seperate switch, it simply makes no sense, I don't gain anything finacially buying a router and switch seperately. I'm not a fan of netgear as I don't really think of them making quality products vs Linksys but i'm happy to be proven wrong

Refer to the performance charts at Tim Higgins site
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

The new Asus Black Diamond model currently tops the charts at over 800 megs of throughput.

Learn to use the charts....change the drop down menu to certain features, such as simultaneous connections..to get an idea as to which would perform better under heavier loads from that torrent stuff. Although once you get up to a certain point....for a home user you don't really need a ton there..but you can see which ones handle loads better. Also consider QoS features..that's important too.

800megs of throughput is great but I fail to see how that is it all important given that there's no home connections that even come close to that speed.

800megs of throughput is great but I fail to see how that is it all important given that there's no home connections that even come close to that speed.

Not a spec to buy to but if it is capable and even costs less than why not.
Amazons price is lower for the asus than the linksys that the OP bought.

BestBuy and Microcenter have the E2000 and E3000 refurbished.

Picked up an E2000 that way, dropped DDWRT on it, been trucking along perfectly smooth. Cheap too.

Picked up a E3000 at my local Costco for $120. Good deal and Costco is really nice about being able to bring stuff back even after several months in case the thing craps out or something as long as I still box and receipt.

Back