E3 2014: Sony's Press Conference

So the message I got so far is XB1 has more new exclusive games in 2014. PS4 has a couple new games and remasters. The real fun for both begins in 2015.

I'm not counting Indies.

Running better is subjective like the ufc demo tried it on both
Looked a c-hair better on ps4 loaded way faster on Xbox (external USB 3 7200rpm FTW)

Internal SSD for the win :)

Better isn't always subjective. Generally speaking PS4 run games the same or better (extra effects, resolution or framerate).

I really wish MS had more going for it. Halo 2015 and no GoW is very disappointing. Disclaimer, I own both consoles and I'm just a bit pissed it looks like the XO is going to be a paper weight for another year with the exception of one or two titles.

After the bullshit with Watch Dogs Ubi doesn't deserve a rating other then "Wait for the real games to release".

Not basing on look alone but type of game feel story interest.

I never based my view on graphics alone ever

The new assassins has a really cool multiplayer element
Far cry 4 new game play and story looks cool

MS get an A- because halo master chief collection , sunset overdrive and definitely forza horizon 2

Sony gets the C+ because all the best stuff they showed that I really want is 2015!

We will see how Nintendo fares tomorrow?

Internal SSD for the win :)

Better isn't always subjective. Generally speaking PS4 run games the same or better (extra effects, resolution or framerate).

I really wish MS had more going for it. Halo 2015 and no GoW is very disappointing. Disclaimer, I own both consoles and I'm just a bit pissed it looks like the XO is going to be a paper weight for another year with the exception of one or two titles.

Internal ssd is a joke when you can use a raid box full of 7200rpm blacks in a raid 0! My math is bad what is 4TB x4 :)

MS get an A- because halo master chief collection

When the best announcement you have is an HD remake of an older game and an HD upgrade on 3 others.. it's a bit underwhelming. Outside Sunset Overdrive, MS showed very little new to be excited about.

When the best announcement you have is an HD remake of an older game and an HD upgrade on 3 others.. it's a bit underwhelming. Outside Sunset Overdrive, MS showed very little new to be excited about.

Do not edit what I said I didn't put those in any particular order Jesus christ

Didn't just say oh look halo yeah that's a fucking A

I liked a lot of Sony's but too much WAY too much 2015 so C+

Not really. Seek time alone makes it worse for gaming.

We have been testing with real hardware since the beta enabled external storage an entire thread of testing on Xbox beta forum begs to differ

Using ssd's hybrids,a ton of different drives

Both systems use sata 2 usb3.0 in raid 0 with 7200rpm blacks is faster period

I'm not talking about this anymore here I gave my opinions on the games they showed I personally was less impressed but they get some of my money for a few titles

Last edited:

I agree, people on here are saying "oh shit master chief collection" they said no graphical upgrade other than running in higher rez......which means yeah it's going to look cleaner but the assets are still going to be the same.

I think Sony won...never played the last of us an I can buy it next month for my PS4 and Uncharted 4 looked better than anything at the show....period, my son has an Xone an he told me while watching the Sony conference he was getting a PS4 for Christmas...

We have been testing with real hardware since the beta enabled external storage an entire thread of testing on Xbox beta forum begs to differ

Using ssd's hybrids,a ton of different drives

Both systems use sata 2 usb3.0 in raid 0 with 7200rpm blacks is faster period

There is a massive difference between external USB SSD (XO) vs internal SSD (PS4). The very fact you are seeing Raid 0 7200 drives performing the same as an SSD shows how much of a bottleneck the external USB interface is.

I hate to break it to you, but in a PC an SSD will destroy any 7200 rpm drives in raid 0, especially in seek and random reads/writes. A 4tb black drive has a seek time of about 16ms, a 1tb evo it is 0.1ms.

You simply cannot move a needle across a disk as fast as you can read memory on an SSD. As for sequential write, SSD will still outperform raid 0 drives.

Transfer speeds on a 4tb black top out at around 127MB/s, so in a raid 0 you're looking at 254MB/s. The Evo does around 510MB/s. Now you are correct on the PS3 it is capped by the sata2 interface, but that still translates to 384MB/s. Handily faster than a raid 0 setup.

The math simply does not support your statement. External storage especially in raid 0 or sata defiantly helps the XO performance, but it's still no where near what an internal sata drive can do.

I agree, people on here are saying "oh shit master chief collection" they said no graphical upgrade other than running in higher rez......which means yeah it's going to look cleaner but the assets are still going to be the same.

I think Sony won...never played the last of us an I can buy it next month for my PS4 and Uncharted 4 looked better than anything at the show....period, my son has an Xone an he told me while watching the Sony conference he was getting a PS4 for Christmas...

Nobody said that try reading all posts other than a edited quote.

You fuckin guys I play every system give my honest opinion and fuck me in the ass if that.

Fact is after watching every minute of each presser Sony blew a chance to kick some real ads I was disappointed! I wanted more from them. Microsoft did a better job sure theirs could have been better too but they did what they said it was nothing but games. If you don't like those games great.

Never said omg its halo holy god! Get real.

He'll my favorite too games shown were from Sony but AGAIN 2015 and this Ps now and TV crap. Hence the C+. Read

Well that is not entirely true. Yeah Halo 3 and 4 are getting bumped up to 1080p and 60 FPS, but during the press conference they talked about and showed split screens of how they completely overhauled Halo 2, just like Halo: CE Anniversary Edition. It absolutely has new assets.

There is a massive difference between external USB SSD (XO) vs internal SSD (PS4). The very fact you are seeing Raid 0 7200 drives performing the same as an SSD shows how much of a bottleneck the external USB interface is.

I hate to break it to you, but in a PC an SSD will destroy any 7200 rpm drives in raid 0, especially in seek and random reads/writes. A 4tb black drive has a seek time of about 16ms, a 1tb evo it is 0.1ms.

You simply cannot move a needle across a disk as fast as you can read memory on an SSD. As for sequential write, SSD will still outperform raid 0 drives.

Transfer speeds on a 4tb black top out at around 127MB/s, so in a raid 0 you're looking at 254MB/s. The Evo does around 510MB/s. Now you are correct on the PS3 it is capped by the sata2 interface, but that still translates to 384MB/s. Handily faster than a raid 0 setup.

The math simply does not support your statement. External storage especially in raid 0 or sata defiantly helps the XO performance, but it's still no where near what an internal sata drive can do.

Not talking about pcs talking about these pieces of hardware in the consoles.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_a...view_forums/wave_4_1406/f/4867/t/1760900.aspx

Load times on the raid 0 were faster than ssd and hybrid ssd never mind the fact that the main advantage is the ability to have 32tb total storage do they make a 32 TB 2.5 sata drive I forget.

For anything that is releasing this year the Last of us Remaster is the only thing I found of any interest. Its looking like that will probably be the only game I get on the PS4 this year. I thought the things showed that was going to available this year was rather weak compared to microsofts press conference.

Well that is not entirely true. Yeah Halo 3 and 4 are getting bumped up to 1080p and 60 FPS, but during the press conference they talked about and showed split screens of how they completely overhauled Halo 2, just like Halo: CE Anniversary Edition. It absolutely has new assets.

But again there just rehashing....MS is still hanging on to Halo way too much, for people to get jacked up about a remastered Halo 2 is just crazy imo. I told myself if they show a new gears I might buy an Xone but they didn't...just remastered versions of Halo and another Forza which we just had last November...and early access to COD dlc...it's the norm for MS, they try to buy the consumer vs creating new ip's...

But again there just rehashing....MS is still hanging on to Halo way too much, for people to get jacked up about a remastered Halo 2 is just crazy imo. I told myself if they show a new gears I might buy an Xone but they didn't...just remastered versions of Halo and another Forza which we just had last November...and early access to COD dlc...it's the norm for MS, they try to buy the consumer vs creating new ip's...

Did you see what they did with halo its pure fan service and hype to the new halo next year

Gears what could they show? Seriously! They just bought the ip from epic

You telling me the last of us remasted isn't a cash grab come on.

And forza horizon 2 isn't the same as forza 5 not by a long shot

both system got all the Multiplat stuff big deal dlc first who cares both have indie games bug deal Sony finally getting YouTube.

Its Sony's suits that fucked it up to much bs. Unfortunately also really great games but 2015 like Nintendo "please understand"

You fuckin guys I play every system give my honest opinion and fuck me in the ass if that.

Fact is after watching every minute of each presser Sony blew a chance to kick some real ads I was disappointed! I wanted more from them. Microsoft did a better job sure theirs could have been better too but they did what they said it was nothing but games. If you don't like those games great.

He'll my favorite too games shown were from Sony but AGAIN 2015 and this Ps now and TV crap. Hence the C+. Read

Dude seriously....this thread and the MS E3 thread mention the Halo collection like it's the deal sealer, and it's just not imo...I'm just like you, I've got the PS4, WiiU, and Xone and I was just disappointed by MS because there's still no originality from them,...just hey play your COD DLC early with us and hey here's another Forza even though we just gave you one at the end of 2013 and hey here's another Fable but with a twist...now you can play 4 players at once. The game from Insomniac might be good but there last couple of games were meh..including Resistance 3 so who know's...I guess I'm just disappointed to not see Gears I guess.

MS should have invested in 1st Party to begin with like Sony and I wouldn't even be having this conversation...True some games for Sony are coming in 2015 but their original AAA games, not Forza 6++.

Dude seriously....this thread and the MS E3 thread mention the Halo collection like it's the deal sealer, and it's just not imo...I'm just like you, I've got the PS4, WiiU, and Xone and I was just disappointed by MS because there's still no originality from them,...just hey play your COD DLC early with us and hey here's another Forza even though we just gave you one at the end of 2013 and hey here's another Fable but with a twist...now you can play 4 players at once. The game from Insomniac might be good but there last couple of games were meh..including Resistance 3 so who know's...I guess I'm just disappointed to not see Gears I guess.

MS should have invested in 1st Party to begin with like Sony and I wouldn't even be having this conversation...True some games for Sony are coming in 2015 but their original AAA games, not Forza 6++.

Well I never said halo remastered was a system seller.

Although for 60 its a pretty sweet deal

UqqOg8i.gif

This sums Sony up for me tonight

Did you see what they did with halo its pure fan service and hype to the new halo next year

Gears what could they show? Seriously! They just bought the ip from epic

You telling me the last of us remasted isn't a cash grab come on.

And forza horizon 2 isn't the same as forza 5 not by a long shot

both system got all the Multiplat stuff big deal dlc first who cares both have indie games bug deal Sony finally getting YouTube.

Its Sony's suits that fucked it up to much bs. Unfortunately also really great games but 2015 like Nintendo "please understand"

Hell they could have mocked up some CG trailer or something, and yeah The last of us is a cash grab but I sold my PS3 before it came out so I'm happy with them letting everyone get a chance to play it and yeah Forza Horizon is different but the 1st one wasn't that great and it still doesn't change the fact we were playing a new Forza game at the end of last year...and we're getting another one in a few month's...I mean really if you own them both I can't see how you don't see my point, MS is doing the same thing they did with the 360 in it's last 2 year's...timed DLC and 1 or 2 new ip's and it's make's them look like they could give two shit's about bringing new ideas to the console.

See I kept my last of us ps3 copy they are supposed to be doing a upgrade deal.
I really enjoyed horizon still play it but I love car games! Ive been super salty over not having drive club at launch.

To be fair last year forza is a sim not open world driving rave.

They brought new ideas titan fall , sunset overdrive just a few

Still have all my systems so I enjoy my variety hell I've got Ps + games on Ps3/4 and vita I'm still playing through.

I just want that vita TV now damn it!

I felt that the Sony presser had more unique titles than the Xbone presser. So imo Sony won this round.

Bloodborne is enough for me. LBP3, Ratchet and clank remake is cool too.

Probably should post in the other thread but i'm still highly doubting they updated halo 1 multiplayer for online and are just still sticking with the stupid reach with halo 1 maps crap they did in the anniversary edition.

If they actually did go through the effort i would like them bring those improvements to the pc version even it means rebuying it.

Microsoft did a much better job this year. No BS TV crap , no fluff about partnerships and just focused on the games. I love Halo so the remasters are just exciting as fuck.

Sony had the win with the games , so many I'm interested in.. HOWEVER who was the moron who thought they should steal from Microsoft's 2013 E3 by doing 30+ minutes of jargon about TV , sales and some Executive Producer (most useless title in the industry by the way) talking about a series I've never heard of or care for? Also Jack's replacement CEO? He's boring and nearly made me turn off the cast while waiting for him to be done. He was nervous and he's new in his position but E3 is the big dog show , you have to be trained all around if you wanna hang with the big dogs. Next year put someone else in if he can't hack it. And for fuck sakes Sony , no one cares about your business growth. We are all there for the GAMES. You understood this last year yet this year you got caught up in bullshit about your TV shit. E3 isn't your shareholders meeting , we simply want the games and you should want us to want them as well so stop shitting in the same place you want us to eat.

I'm hoping Nintendo has some left field type shit to shock everyone but I would be honestly surprised if they announced the release of a proper Zelda or Metroid. If they do one or both then that's game for me. I love those series each so much and having them on the Wii U would just put me over the moon (not rehashes mind you , original games).

I have to say though despite my generally pleased overall impression of E3 so far .. I'm kinda disappointed neither MS or Sony really dropped any "bombs". But E3's after console launches kinda have always sucked.

I thought the Sony conference was good up until the new CEO of SCEA came out, followed by the TV shit. They would have been better off dropping the TV stuff to 3 mins and moving all of that after the Destiny trailer.

As far as games go Sony had more variety IMO which has never surprised me. The LBP3 reveal was unexpected and Uncharted 4 will be awesome.

I was surprised they didn't show Driveclub, but they are probably waiting for Gamescom.

I'm also surprised they didn't do a price drop on PS3 and show the new model. In Korea/Japan there is a commercial showing it along side the PS4 and Vita. I saw it with the Amazon commercial that plays prior to entering the PS4 E3 app.

It's not at 60FPS but a target of 60FPS. It is rendered by a PS4 but might not be gameplay, could have just been a cut scene in engine. It looks fanatic but lets wait to see what playing the game really looks like. To many downgrades already this gen to buy 100% into this brief glimpse.

It's not at 60FPS but a target of 60FPS. It is rendered by a PS4 but might not be gameplay, could have just been a cut scene in engine. It looks fanatic but lets wait to see what playing the game really looks like. To many downgrades already this gen to buy 100% into this brief glimpse.

Fair enough but I will say this: Naughty Dog has not disappointed yet and I very seriously doubt they will here. They have definitely earned a huge benefit of the doubt from me.

I thought the Sony conference was good up until the new CEO of SCEA came out, followed by the TV shit. They would have been better off dropping the TV stuff to 3 mins and moving all of that after the Destiny trailer.

As far as games go Sony had more variety IMO which has never surprised me. The LBP3 reveal was unexpected and Uncharted 4 will be awesome.

I was surprised they didn't show Driveclub, but they are probably waiting for Gamescom.

I'm also surprised they didn't do a price drop on PS3 and show the new model. In Korea/Japan there is a commercial showing it along side the PS4 and Vita. I saw it with the Amazon commercial that plays prior to entering the PS4 E3 app.

I stopped watching when they were talking about the Powers TV show. I think all that TV stuff could have been condensed down into about 60 seconds. Plus I really don't think anyone cares about getting *one* exclusive show six months from now. People already have Amazon/Netflix/Hulu, no one is going to get a chub about one exclusive show.

At any rate Uncharted should be an exceelent game I hope theartwork and story are up to the standard they have set. Should be a day one purcahse for me.

Fair enough but I will say this: Naughty Dog has not disappointed yet and I very seriously doubt they will here. They have definitely earned a huge benefit of the doubt from me.

Same here, I was impressed with what they managed to do in Uncharterd 2 and 3 with the PS3 hardware, I'm looking forward to this.

Back