E2180 Overclocking

Gen.Ben

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I need a new build so I am probably going to go with water cooling.

I want the E2180 due to the low price and insane overclocks people have achieved with it. I want it to hold me over until intel's new line of processors drop to a reasonable price.

People have reported that they can easily get 3.4-3.6Ghz on STOCK air cooling with this chip.

Do you think it's possible to hit 4.0+Ghz with this chip and water?

It's will be on a Gigabyte P35 board.

This is what would be included in the loop.

Swiftech APOGEE GT CPU Block
Swiftech dual 120mm Quiet Power Radiator
Swiftech MCP655-B Water Cooling Pump
Yate Loon Sleeve Bearing 120mm fans
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention I will be giving my brother my Dell in my sig, minus the memory and video card. Which is why I need a new rig.

I don't know where you're getting this 3.4-3.6 range from. Mine won't even boot at 3.3 without at least 1.54V, and crashes in Prime95/Orthos in less than 10 seconds with anything short of 1.6V. I've already accepted mine as a lemon, but even if some can get to 3.6 stable, I very much doubt it was done on stock cooling of all things, unless by stock they meant air.

4GHz on anything is terribly unlikely just because the chip will max out on air for the most part. I won't doubt that 3.4 is doable either, but none of those are on stock (I only took a quick look though), and it really just comes down to a little luck on how well the chip you get ends up being. Not to mention that we have no data on their ambients to see how much leeway they have on the stock cooler, etc etc.

Thanks tromble, I just realized what kind of ridiculous results I was expecting. It is a 2.0Ghz budget chip for shit sakes. If I get it past 3.0Ghz I'll be happy, thanks :) Anyways, this chip will just be a stand by until the newer chips come in, thats when my watercooling loop will shine :)

Thanks

My e2140 is @ a touch under 3.0 currently, w/ 1.355v (BIOS setting). Mind you, that's on water, not air, but a dirty ass loop. May be able to get it higher w/ a refresh and time to futz w/ every little setting; this was pretty much a set and forget overclock. But then again, given how busy I've been recently (and not at home), by the time I get around to actually tweaking it, it'll probably be time for (cheap) Penryn quads. Never tried my stock alu Intel cooler, so I can't say what advantage clock wise I got by running on water.

I'd say unless you're running the crappiest of crappy boards, or just have plain awful luck, 3.0 is NO issue at all, especially on the 2180. I'd say anywhere from 3.2-3.4 is likely, although not on stock air.

Here's my e2180:

e2180cpuz.jpg

It's Prime stable and runs cool with a pretty decent Kingwin HDT air cooler. It may have a little more left in it with the right settings. However, it starts to crash prime right around 3160 Mhz. At that point, I have to really start cranking up the core voltage. I figure that must be the "wall" for this particular chip.

For reference:
MB = Asus P5K-E
Mem = (2x1GB) Patriot DDR2 800 Cas4
Cooler = Kingwin Revolution HDT
Video = BFG 8800GT OC (@700MHz/1050MHz)

3DMark12050.jpg

At these speeds the Crysis demo runs great.

Be aware you must redo the thermals for the MCH/northbridge and provide cooling for the cpu voltage regulation circuity around the cpu socket. You do not (normally) just slap on a waterblock and get the results you are looking at. The entire board needs to be preped properly and attention to all the cooling details taken care of. Little work before you slap it in the case (lapp the cpu and the block for example), redo the thermal paste under the MCH and improve the mounting hardware and add a small fan etc. and you can get amazing results.

8 x 400 FSB for 3.2GHz with PC6400 (800MHz) memory would be a good target.

You can get a E6750 and overclock it to 3.2ghz (stock voltage on a AC Freezer) with that kind of money spent on the Swiftech W/C gear ($250?). This is discounting the initial money for a E2180, which can go towards the motherboard. The stock fan is also good enough if you have good case cooling. I see no logic unless you are really up for watercooling for fun like me.

And you get 3 times the cache......which equals around 20% performance boost.

My E2180 is now at 3.2GHz "prime" stable... but the core voltage is about as high as I want to go at 1.52v.
e2180cpuz2.jpg

The temps are fine, 28c idle and 52c load (while running Prime).

It will boot into Windows at 3.3GHz but Prime crashes in minutes at that speed.

My E2140 is at 3.2GHz stable at 1.34V with a Tuniq Tower 120. You could probably get to 4GHz with water if you get a good chip.

Be aware you must redo the thermals for the MCH/northbridge and provide cooling for the cpu voltage regulation circuity around the cpu socket. You do not (normally) just slap on a waterblock and get the results you are looking at. The entire board needs to be preped properly and attention to all the cooling details taken care of. Little work before you slap it in the case (lapp the cpu and the block for example), redo the thermal paste under the MCH and improve the mounting hardware and add a small fan etc. and you can get amazing results.

8 x 400 FSB for 3.2GHz with PC6400 (800MHz) memory would be a good target.

I was just reading over your post.

What would be a good cooling solution for the northbridge?

I am prepared to lapp my cpu, but I heard you shouldnt lap an apogee block.

Back