E2180 and P31 Temperature Issues

bdwilcox

n00b
I have a Pentium E2180 on a Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L that has been flashed with the latest BIOS. I have tried both the stock Intel all aluminum cooler as well as an Intel copper-cored HSF from a retail P4.

At stock CPU speed (2GHz) under full load using TAT and with the copper cored HSF, I am getting core temps of 55 and 53 degrees C. The fan speed is loud at 2344 RPM and VCore1 is 1.09V. The heatsink is cool to the touch.

If I up the FSB to 266 (10x multiplier) for 2660 MHz, my temps skyrocket to 76 and 75 degrees.

I have reseated the HSF numerous times and each time I've pulled the HSF off the thermal grease is squished evenly. I've held a razor across the heatspreader on the CPU and there is a dish there of maybe 1/64" (about the thickness of a piece of paper).

I've tried two different thermal pastes and tried testing the rig with the case open, but to no avail.

The odd thing is that even when the CPU hits 76 degress, the HSF is cool to the touch and I don't feel any heat blowing off of it.

This leads me to one of two conclusions. One, the CPU is not making proper contact with the HSF. Or two, there is something wrong with the temperature reporting from the CPU/motherboard/TAT/SpeedFan. Is there any other way to get a reliable heat reading other than through the CPU's built in heat sensor?

Prior to buying this setup, all I heard was how cool the Core 2's ran with people reporting their CPU was running high thirties under load. Anyone have any similar experience with their Core2? Between this and the crappy HSF attachment method, I'm ready to sell it and get an Athlon64 Black Edition.

Yes, I've used Coretemp and it showed basically the same temps as TAT, Speedfan, and Gigabytes system monitoring utility.

Touch the base of the heatsink. And around it, even if it was not making proper contact it still would be warm.

If not its probably a incorrect reading. The same thing happened to me on a crappy intel board, it said my cpu was 120C idle :p

What are the temps with the stock cooler? If they are in the same range as the copper (or possibly a little higher... It is alum after all) then you're probably looking at a bad sensor and should contact GB about swapping out the board. If the temps seem to fall into a "normal" range with the stock HS/F then it's probably a very bad contact between the P4 HS and CPU.

Kevin

The temps with the all aluminum stock cooler are pretty much the same, but ironically the fan runs at a lower RPM and is quieter. Isn't the sensor in the chip package itself rather than on the motherboard? I was thinking maybe there was an incompatibility between that CPU and that motherboard model (Gigabyte has the E2180 on the GA-P31-DS3L's compatibility list) that the Gigabyte engineers hadn't found yet.

I don't have enough knowledge to say for sure where that sensor is (mobo or CPU), but either way it sounds like the sensor is borked or whatever is reading the sensor is borked. I would start with GB support.

Kevin

I've already contacted Gigabyte with the following result:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-P31-DS3L(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F3
Serial No. : 010471933182816521SN0731405108
Purchase Dealer : Newegg.com
VGA Brand : MSI Model : NX8600GT-T2D256E OC
CPU Brand : Intel Model : Pentium Speed : E2180
Operation System : Win XP SP : 2
Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDRII
Memory Size : 2GB Speed : 667
Power Supply : 500 W

Question : I am experiencing unusually high CPU temperatures for my Intel Pentium E2180 CPU on my GIGABYTE GA-P31-DS3L motherboard. I am running my CPU at stock speed and voltage (no overclocking) and under full load I am getting CPU temperatures in the 70 degree Celsius range [this is with a voltage of 1.26V fixed] according to EasyTune5 and Speedfan. At idle my temperatures hover around the 44 degree Celsius mark. I tried removing the Intel retail heatsink fan and installing a better HSF, but temperatures remained basically the same. I also tried reseating the heatsink, but that didn't do anything to help the high temperatures. The odd thing is that when the CPU temp hits 70 degrees, the heatsink is cool to the touch and doesn't feel like a heatsink that is cooling a hot CPU. This makes me wonder if the board is giving me bad temperature readouts from the CPU. Are there any issues with this board regarding CPU temps or incompatibilities between this board and M0 stepping CPUs like the Allendale based E2180 I installed? Could the board possibly be defective?

Answer : Is this the reading under bios or using software under Windows?
Any other processor available to test with to confirm the issue or it will only occur with this processor and is your system crashing?

Question : This reading is taken with the latest EasyTune5 and Speedfan versions under Windows XP SP2. (A BIOS temperature reading of the CPU would only be an idle temp reading.)

Unfortunately, these are the only CPU and motherboard I have to test with.

System is very stable and the heatsink, even under full load, is cool to the touch.

At first, I thought it might be a heatsink seating issue on the CPU, but when I pulled the heatsink off, it had been fulled seated and making full contact with the CPU. (Thermal interface material or heatsink compound were evenly and properly "squished":)

At first, I tried using the solid grey thermal interface material (TIM) that was supplied with the Intel retail CPU cooler. I then tried replacing the TIM with GC Electronics Type 44 Heatsink Compound but to no avail.

At this point, I'm wondering if the board has a problem with M0 stepping processors. (My Pentium E2180 is an M0 Allendale core)

I'm worried about my CPU running at temps this high and this also ruins any possibility of overclocking.

Answer : Only way would be to test with an different processor to confirm it or you can try to update to the F4 bios

Question : I'll try the F4 BIOS, but I don't have another processor to try. I barely scraped together enough money for the one I have, so buying another CPU to test the board isn't going to happen..

Has Gigabyte tested the E2180 with their GA-P31-DS3L to ensure that this motherboard and its existing BIOS versions work correctly with this new M0 stepping CPU core? Conspicuously, MSI's new P31 Neo board is confirmed to work correctly with all Pentium E21x0 CPUs EXCEPT the E2180 which they state is still "Under Testing" here:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?...o=1286&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=#menu

I would like to get confirmation from Gigabyte that their GA-P31-DS3L motherboard is compatible with the Pentium E2180 and its M0 stepping core.

Answer : If the processor on the cpu support list, those processor has been tested
The E2180 processor has yet to be tested to work with this board, it is not on the cpu support list. Once tested and approved an new bios will be release and it will be updated on the support list.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2615

Question : OK, that answers that. I'll have to wait and see...

One more question before I let you go. I noticed that Gigabyte has a GA-P31-DS3L (Rev. 1.1) board in the works. (See attached graphic and motherboard list on below link:
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Search/Search.aspx?ClassID=2

My question: What is Gigabyte changing with this new revision?

Answer : Unfortunately in this region only rev 1.0 is available.

Question : The E2180 is the newest and fastest Pentium chip on the market and this motherboard is a pretty new model, so I figured it would have been tested and certified by now. Any estimate when Gigabyte will certify this board with the E2180 chip? How often does Gigabyte certify new CPUs?
Answer - 521965

Answer : Please check back with us within 1-2 weeks for updates

Just as an FYI, I'm running my E2180 on a GB P35-DS3L without any issues. Temps are good, and so far it's overclocking well (more work to do in this area).

Kevin

Back