e2140 Overclocking help

baballin328

Limp Gawd
This is really frustrating me. I just got a e2140 and a ABIT IP35-E (supposedly a good overclocker). Now I've tried OCing and the most I can get is around 2.65ghz! There are people hitting 3.2ghz with their e2140 and IP35-E's. I know overclocking can vary from processor to processor, but can my processor really be this bad?! These are my settings: FSB-332ghz (don't know if its orthos stable or not), divider-1:1.2 (ddr2-796), cpu voltage-1.445v, DDR2 Voltage- 2.2ghz (stock), cpu vtt voltage-1.2v, ICH 1.50v voltage - 1.50V, MCH 1.25V voltage-1.25v, CPU GTLREF- 63.0%. Does anyone else have this board/ processor combo? If not can anyone with a IP35-E or a e2140 tell me what their overclocks were? Any help would be appreciated.

What are your memory timings? Also what kind of memory do you have?

My Abit IP35-E runs my E6550 @ 458x7, which equals roughly 3.4Ghz with a FSB of 1.9Ghz I believe.

I would check your memory timings and see what they are rated at.

Example, my memory timings are set to manual, 5-5-5-15 everything else is left alone.

I have OCZ Platinums Rev.2 I have looser timings then your's right now @ 2.6 (it's stable) But when I was trying to go higher I had my mem on 1:1 ratio and timings at 5-6-6-15 I also tried 5-7-7-16 and that still didn't work. I've messed with the voltages too 2.2v (stock) and 2.3v

i'd personally try setting the multiplier at 9... i know the 2160 can go there. :confused:

but i'd go with 9x333 and set the ram at 667... at least you know you're not stressin your northbridge with those settings.

What kind of temps are you getting? CPU, chipset, PWM, and the like? What case is it in, or in other words what kind of airflow do you have going through it? If you have a case with crappy restricted 80mm fans, and no direct cooling of the CPU/NB/PWM/possibly RAM, they may not be too happy with you ;).

ps I'll let the OP know sometime (likely late) next week what my results are..I just ordered an e2140 ($66/retail package/IP35 Pro combo from eWiz ($170-$20 MIR so I figured WTH), memory (2x1GB Ballistix) @ Newegg. Should be fun to play with until I make my up whether I want a Q6600, or wait for Penryn to show.

[edit] Oh, and there's tons of threads around the intarweb of people paint modding the pads on their CPUs to force higher default FSB..In some cases, it seems to help in getting over a wall. Whether or not it actually helps you at all is another matter..But it's a pretty easy mod to do ($5-12 for a Circuit Writer pen), and is easily removable if it doesn't work (alcohol/Zippo fluid).

Few links to check out:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5243146
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=164050
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2009751&postcount=161

My temps are fine about 30C idle and 48C load and I have a GeminII so the ram and other mobo parts should be cooled a bit. I have an Antec Sonata (1st one) with a 120 exhaust and a 80 intake and 2 x 120's on my GeminII. So I don't think airflow should be too much of a problem

Ok, scratch that idea then. While the 1st gen Sonata is more geared toward silence than airflow, it should (& does seem to be) be plenty good enough for you...Esp w/ the whole system cooler aka Gemini II strapped to it. I don't think the PWM for example has a chance to get anywhere near water boiling levels with your setup.

[edit] Had ? on PSU used, then saw sig. How are the 3.3v/5v/12v rails doing on it [at load esp] (preferably w/ a multimeter NOT Windoze software)? It's not the best PSU on the market, but certainly not *bad*...Perhaps you just happen to have a 'dodgy' one.

I think the PSU should be fine because I ran a Opteron 165 at 2.7GHz without a problem. Shouldn't the e2140 use less power than my opty?

i have the same cpu/mobo combo you have. set it up yesterday and so far i like it. right off the bat i clocked it to 2.66ghz 333*8. noticed default vcore was low so i bumped it up so its at default 1.325v for good measure.

today i decided to take it to 3.2ghz but it won't post. i didn't try upping vcore yet but will eventually. i settled for 3ghz. i also bumped up VTT voltage if that does anything. i didn't notice any difference in temps so i left it since its only 1.235v from the default 1.200v.

if worst comes to worst and you have a bad chip, don't stress. its still faster than your opty 165 @ 2.7ghz. i upgraded from a opty 165 @ 2.8ghz and even with my 2140 @ 2.6ghz, its still faster.

Wow haha, my chip seems terrible compared to your's. I need 1.425V to keep it stable at 2.6GHz.
BTW what would the FSB be if I tried the conductive ink mod? and do I just follow the instructions for the e4300? and where can I buy a conductive ink pen?

My E2140 from Fry's can only do 2.66Ghz at default voltage(~1.325v) with IP35-E. Its batch # is Q711A618. I guess it hits the FSB wall at 333.

haha that's still better than mine! so does anyone know if this conductive ink mod to 1066 or 1333 fsb will help?

Has anyone done the conductive ink mod on their e4300's? Did it help you get a better overclock?

Late reply - been spending A LOT of time for the past nearly week tring to get a stable dual boot XP/Vista situation (still NOT there grrrr; mainly boot loader issues and the 'green screen' horizontal issue [in Vista] w/ any of about 1/2 dozen Forceware versions I've tried).

Anyway - see sig. Info is probably a bit off, haven't taken the time to breakout CPU-Z, etc for the 10th time - but the 1.4x is in the low 1.4's, and for all I know I can ratchet it down a bit. Other voltage settings were tweaked too, but I forget to what exactly. Like I said, it's a bit hard getting around to doing proper testing and stuff when each OS has issues upon reboot...Anyway, I forget what I was @ on stock vcore, I think I was able to hit 333 no problem, and no boot at around 340-350. On the memory, I can probably play w/ the dividers some more, see if I can get more speed out of the CPU, hopefully drop the voltage a bit - they're a bit warm for my liking, considering w/ my big ass side fan blowing in their direction.

At my current settings, as of a couple days ago, if I tried to bump my FSB to 372-375, I'd not boot, even w/ up to 1.5v or a bit more. I'm hesitant to go any higher, since I was already getting a reported LOAD temp in the mid-high 60's - currently high 50s -> low 60's...Seems a bit high to me even w/ volt/clock bumps - but it's to be expected. My radiator isn't mounted properly since the hardware change, and my tubing (cloudy as sh*t) is in dire need of cleaning, and need a system flush/new fluid. I was going to test it on air first, but got impatient - maybe I'll get around to it when I order new good for the water setup.

ps Retail boxed e2140 (yay $66 from eWiz, cheaper than the ~$72/FS 'deal' they had since I ordered mobo too, only added $1 to shipping), FPO/Batch #Q711A696, pack date 07/31, stepping "L2" if I recall (NOT the newer M0 I've seen talked about).

...And I'm afraid to look at the boot cycles & power cycle counters in the BIOS - interesting little tidbit abit decided to put in there ;).

I've currently got it stable at 2.66 (333x8) I've got the L2 Stepping too and my my batch number is Q711A618, kinda close to yours. Is 38C idle and 56C load too high? My voltage is 1.401v or something like that...1.4 something. I have speed step on and it lowers it to 1.325 (stock voltage) when idle.

BTW when I had it running at 2.6ghz, speed step throttle my processor down to ~1.18V. I changed all of my settings back from 2.66GHZ to 2.6GHZ lowered my voltage to 1.370, and then turned my C1E back on, but it still won't throttle lower than 1.325v. I want it to throttle lower, so I won't have a 42C idle temp!!!!

Back