e1705 or m5750

ion

n00b
I've got about a $1500 dollar budget and I want a decent performing laptop for college. I can get the e1705 with a slightly better CPU for the money, but I really REALLY like the design of the alienware laptop. Not to mention the alienware has a full keyboard w/numpad and probably is designed with lots of overclocking options in the bios and whatnot. Does anyone have any opinions on these two laptops? Also I tried but couldn't find any 3dmark05 and 06 scores for the X1800 on the m5750. So which one is better, the 7900GS on the e1705 or the x1800 on the m5750 for gaming? Right now I'm assuming the X1800 is better b/c ATI usually releases their cards after nvidia so they're slightly better (ie. the 7600 is worse than the X1600).

Also does anyone know if there are any coupon codes for alienware, I know dell and alienware joined up, so shouldn't they have similar deals?

Thanks

EDIT: I just read this on the alienware website: "The power is in your hands: Your girlfriend thinks you are spending too much time with your m5750? Go ahead and tell her you will distance yourself from it. With the infrared remote and receiver you can enjoy and control all of your media from across the house." Sounds neat, is this just refering to the media center remote and not something like the HP mobile remote that would come with the laptop?

Yeah, I'm real sure Alienware has overclocking options in its' BIOS

ion said:
(ie. the 7600 is worse than the X1600).
I dont think that statment is accurate.

Also i think the 7900 GS > X1800
I have never really hear of the X1800 in laptops, so take what i say with a grain of salt.

Below id the GPU chart i use but it does not feature the X1800.

97ad9a5e.jpg

There's no question in my mind that the X1600 mobility is better than the 7600 Go, I've heard so many ppl say that and have seen 3dmark scores that show that too. But I just found a chart that seems to put the X1800 mobility below the 7900GS, however the specs it shows for the X1800 seems to be off from the ones on ATI's website. Another factor would be if the X1800 uses less power than the 7900 GS or if it's cooler, all things I would like to know.

Here's the chart I found, it's from a german website I believe:
http://www.3dchip.de/Grafikchipliste/mobilechips.htm

ion said:
Also does anyone know if there are any coupon codes for alienware, I know dell and alienware joined up, so shouldn't they have similar deals?

Thanks

they are operated as seperated entities, dell coupons does not work on alienware just like toyota rebates does not work on lexus cars.

That's why I asked if there were alienware rebates. I mean.. they do have that little box for entering coupon codes just like most other websites.

I'm also trying to figure out how the x1800 overclocks, maybe that'll make it better than the 7900GS. Do ATI cards typically overclock well?

Anyone know if the lights for the alienware symbols and stuff can be changed to different colors?

Back