E1200 vs E2160 for PVR / media station

Halon

Gawd
So a friend of mine recently gave me a working s775 motherboard with AGP and DDR1 support. This is pretty well-timed, as I recently traded my AGP 6600GT for an All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro, and I'm opportunistically selling off my Pentium 4 2.8C and its motherboard to pay for a new CPU. Now this doesn't need to be terribly high-end (as the thread title would indicate), but I'd like for it to be clearly better than what I'm giving up at all things pertaining to multimedia (and hopefully for a little bit of gaming, too). The primary task of the system in the near future will be to record every single episode of Beavis and Butthead off of a bunch of old VHS tapes I have.

Normally I'd just jump at the faster chip, but my wedding and honeymoon are coming up and there are always bills to pay. Which of the two chips should I choose? Is double the amount and four times the associativity of L2 cache going to make a colossal difference for this? My local Micro Center's running a special on retail E1200s for $50, and it seems like every place online is selling the E2160s for about $70 even. What say you?

Does the motherboard support core 2 duo processors? Didn't think so...
Edit: your selling the mobo, didn't notice

Back