E-scammers Trashing Reputations

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Well what do you know, e-scammers that squat on domains that resemble legitimate companies actually hurts the reputation of said company. Ya think?

According to MarkMonitor's annual "brand-jacking" report -- which attempts to gauge the level of damage being extracted on corporate reputations by online scammers via schemes like phishing -- problems only intensified last year for businesses in defending their public images online.
 
MAYBE if companies spent the time, money, and effort going after these real criminals, and not some grandmother downloading her favorite song, they wouldn't have to spend so much to fix their tarnished images.

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Grandma is easy to find and capture, with very little effort.
 
MAYBE if companies spent the time, money, and effort going after these real criminals, and not some grandmother downloading her favorite song, they wouldn't have to spend so much to fix their tarnished images.

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Grandma is easy to find and capture, with very little effort.

What goes music pirarcy have to do with this? It isn't like it is the RIAA and MPAA being effect here, it is the rest of the internet. All ther various stores out there such as target, walmart, best buy. Search engines, news sites, and any other site that people can mistype that have nothing what so ever to do with what ever the RIAA and MPAA are doing.
 
Makes me wonder how many people typo hardcop.com and if that hurts hardcop's rep in any way. :|
 
err that should have read: Makes me wonder how many people typo hardcop.com and if that hurts hardocp's rep in any way. :|
 
you cant go after most of these people because they do not reside in the same country the domain is registered under and thus the laws do not apply to them and it wouldnt anyways because of a miss-type domain name, there is no law that says i couldnt register hardcop.com if it wasnt already....
 
you cant go after most of these people because they do not reside in the same country the domain is registered under and thus the laws do not apply to them and it wouldnt anyways because of a miss-type domain name, there is no law that says i couldnt register hardcop.com if it wasnt already....

True, but if somebody made hardcop.com look just like hardocp.com and stole your username and password when you went to log in then is a problem. I have a feeling those sites are the ones that are hurting companies more. The ones that copy cat the real one to steal info from people. I bet you if WalMart didn't own walmart.com, walmart.net, walmart.org, wal-mart.org and wal-mart.com that somebody would swoop in to buy one of them trying to use it to scam people in same way or another.

I know I have had it happen once where trying to find some companies site I came across another site that had a similar name, same type of business, and even had a somewhat similar look to the page. It wasn't till i dug deeper that I figured out it wasn't the site I actually thought it was. I want to say that what I was looking for was a .net site and the one i went to was a .com. Its been such a long time now that I can't remember the company, the site, or what it was that I was even looking for.
 
Its this very reason,as well as a spouse formerly working for a company that does this exact thing. (bad mouth competitors online/shills) That makes me take most of what I see online on forums,with a grain of salt.
 
True, but if somebody made hardcop.com look just like hardocp.com and stole your username and password when you went to log in then is a problem. I have a feeling those sites are the ones that are hurting companies more. The ones that copy cat the real one to steal info from people. I bet you if WalMart didn't own walmart.com, walmart.net, walmart.org, wal-mart.org and wal-mart.com that somebody would swoop in to buy one of them trying to use it to scam people in same way or another.

I know I have had it happen once where trying to find some companies site I came across another site that had a similar name, same type of business, and even had a somewhat similar look to the page. It wasn't till i dug deeper that I figured out it wasn't the site I actually thought it was. I want to say that what I was looking for was a .net site and the one i went to was a .com. Its been such a long time now that I can't remember the company, the site, or what it was that I was even looking for.


very true,i guess it is how far the people take it, or for our company people taking a domain and slightly changing it, and pointing it to our competitors site, but the site looks nothing like ours
 
Back
Top