E or C

islndrs22

n00b
its my bithday and that meens computer upgrade time...w00t....should i get a 3.0 E or C ...they are about the same price ...is the presscott core really any faster ..i know its hotter....but is it worth it? any input would be grrreat

Prescott is Intels new core for most of the processors now. So I would go Prescott. I would wait it out for a month for ASUS and other manufactors to release there motherboards with the 955X chipset. Even if you dont want dual core, they should work with single core, and then in the future go dual core. This is just me though.

At stock speed the 3.0C will be faster for most tasks. If you overclock past 3.6GHz, the Precott starts being the faster CPU.

BigBadBiologist said:
At stock speed the 3.0C will be faster for most tasks. If you overclock past 3.6GHz, the Precott starts being the faster CPU.

Starts?

It just sounded like you were saying that while the cross-over point is at about 3.6GHz, that the margin between the two thereafter isn't very large.

Hmm. I can verify for a fact that the assertion that a C is faster than an E is crap.

My friend as the 2.8C and I have the 2.8E. For all intents and purposes they are identical in benchmark performance. I don't know what websites are trying to convince you of, but we tried it at some length because we were both curious to see what the difference is. Essentially, save for a point here and there given to one processor for one task, another for another one, there is no difference.

I know, that made things as clear as mud, didn't it?

but you're below the 3.6ghz threshold where a prescott becomes faster than the northwood, as stated above.
thus his 2.8c will be faster than your 2.8e if i'm reading things right :D

It's definitely not 100% that the C CPU is faster. There are some tasks that the 1meg of cache of the E helps, but there are other things where the longer pipeline of the E hurts. but when you combine that fact that the C CPU will be slightly faster and much cooler (and puts less strain on your mobo), the C is generally a better choice if you're not OCing.

If you search deep enough you'll find that "C" processors are faster than "E" processors with the same clock speed. Explained :

2.8C > 2.8 E
3.0C > 3.0E
3.2C > 3.2E

Etc.

Its when ( as stated) 3.6 ghz is reached that the prescott starts taking an advantage. I would NOT buy a Socket 478 Prescott over a northwood, there is no gain except for the HEAT. Well at least a 2.8 or 3.0 unless they clock higher than 3.6 on avg. My first 2.4C Sucked ass cheeks for OCing and it was supposed to be King (known for Ocing and still got a lemon).

Now Socket 775 clocks higher with better temps. Buy the northwood or go 775, but you may as well wait for 955 chipset for the dual core if you're buying a new mobo.

LKS

Get a pressy but get the one with EMT64 and execute disable bit so you are uptodate

wow thanks for the info... :) yeah im upgradeing from a 2.4C and i have a AI7 soooo i guess im going to go w/ the either 3.0c or 3.2 ...thanks again

i tryed to OC it and all i get is 2.7 ...that was the reason i got it was to overclock it...i have tryed all i can and thats is all i get...which cpu would have the most head room ..the C or E...i was planning on water cooling it either way in the neer future so the heat is not really a bother ...w/ the add features on the pesscott core make it faster in future apps. ?

That really sucks dude. I think average peak OC for a P4-C is like 3.4~3.6GHz.

ummm yeah....thats im upgradeing it...im sooo fustrated i think i got the only cpu w/ no head room......arg...oh well :mad:

Get a Northwood... Just to be part of the club :p My 2.6C shoots all the way up to 3.57 stable with no voltage increse and then fails too boot at 3.6 no matter how much voltage I pump through it :confused: :eek: Hmm...

Have had three Northwood C's, still have the 2.4 & the 3.2. The 3.2 does 3.8 quietly at low voltage and gets the nod for best performance. The 2.4 does 3.4 or so and the 2.8 topped out at 3.472. These were all purchased as retail boxed chips.

The Prescotts do kick butt but if u run a high enough clockspeed, but personally I don't like that kind of heat & current draw.

Maybe you should try overclocking some more, mess with your ram timings. Check my OC (sig).

I would recommend a 3.0C if you are going to get a 3.0ghz processor. The 3.0c is superior to the 3.0E, plus S478 doesn't handle the prescotts higher thermal envelope as well as the S775. Some guy on the [H] had a post about his prescott melting his socket if I remember right... :(

hi guys, after reading this thread im starting to become curious on my next upgrade. Right now i have a 2.8C, will i see any performance gains after upgrading to a 3.0 prescott?

Warmonkey said:
Maybe you should try overclocking some more, mess with your ram timings. Check my OC (sig).

I would recommend a 3.0C if you are going to get a 3.0ghz processor. The 3.0c is superior to the 3.0E, plus S478 doesn't handle the prescotts higher thermal envelope as well as the S775. Some guy on the [H] had a post about his prescott melting his socket if I remember right... :(

Wait for i955 or even i945, then get a 3GHz 630, it will have the most features and give you more options. You might want to even try nForce4 Intel Edition.

3C vs. 3E or 3J or 3-64 will see results shift to favor each proc's strenghts and weakness'. Some apps like more cache, games like the 3C's lower latency to it's cache. Some streaming apps like Premiere Pro 7 like the newest Prescott's larger but slower 2MB cache and this app has SSE2/3 optimizations as well. Example not only does Premiere Pro 7 run faster on the 630 than any of the 3GHz models, it runs this app faster than the FX-55. Sites ought to use it than just MaximumPC.

So it is crazy to flat out say one is faster than the other, when they are clearly not. The so called speed crossover point is 3.4GHz BTW, not 3.6GHz. Some that has more to do with DDR2, we tested our 3.2E 478 with DDR1 to level the paying field.

Finally, also seen on several folks I know systems, the Sc-775 versions run cooler than the Sc-478 versions (idle and load). 3.6GHz 775 runs about as cool as the 3.2GHz Sc-478 Prescott. We're still talking hot here.

Donnie27

furiousfords89 said:
hi guys, after reading this thread im starting to become curious on my next upgrade. Right now i have a 2.8C, will i see any performance gains after upgrading to a 3.0 prescott?

Get the 3GHz 630 with either nForce4 IE or i955. If I didn't have to buy DDR2, I'd be on my way to doing just that.

Donnie27

I agree with most of what you said Donnie, But.

He isn't upgrading the whole system. He has a socket 478 board and on that platform the 'C' processors are better than prescotts.

I agree with everything else. so islndrs22, if you decide to upgrade your whole system consider what Donnie recommended.

LKS

Warmonkey said:
Donnie, I was talking S478.

Yeah, I got ya' but was thrown off by another post. With Sc-478, I'd have to go with Northwood C or look real hard for the newest stepping of the Prescott still on Sc-478. Before I changed plans I was looking an a 2.8C and I've seen these do 266 FSB on Air. Minus the larger 17% slower cache, and you get a 3.73GHz EE (rip off). Even 3 GHz 250MHz FSB 1:1 can give the 3.8GHz 570J a run for the money for less money, hehehe. Some folks have had luck with the 3GHz as well at those FSB's. I still have hard time with staying with Sc-478 right now.

I would have already upgraded had it not been for me trying to stomach DDR2, I couldn't. I'm waiting for DDR2 800, 1000MHz that should ship this Summer and Fall respectively.

Here's the way I see it. Unlike folks talking about having to upgrade motherboards as something bad, I'm looking forward to upgrading my two-year old i875 IC7-G Max II. My 2.6C has ran at 3.52GHz with nothing more than a Zalman CNPS 7000A, it runs stock speed stable 250 1:1.

Why do I want to upgrade? I want SATA2 with real NCQ, I want ICH7 or at least 6, nVidia's C19 or the newest nForce4 with AMD Venice and so, don't really give flip about which one. I can't wait to get a PCI-E video card and didn't spend $400+ dollars on the ATI or nVidia AGP. I've also never had a rig this long before upgardes. Not to get off subject, but that's why I didn't upgrade my current processor and that's why I have a hard time with telling you or anyone else to upgrade something as old as mine. Please note that I didn't even mention 64bit or Dual Core.

Donnie27

I would get a 3.0C.

of your 2 choices on 478 pin mobo.

Now if you had a 775 socket, I'd go for like a 630 those are hitting 4Ghz all the time!

MemoryInAGarden said:
Start overclocking that 2.4C.

i agree, i think your 2.4c has alot more than 2.7ghz in it. try harder overclocking it.

Back