E-MU 0404 PCI -> ???

450

Fully [H]
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
20,977
I have a EMU 0404 PCI. Great card. I love it for the sound it puts out.

Problem is that I'm moving to a setup where I cannot use it any longer. I'm moving to a Mac Mini/Laptop and I'd like to get something that be used with both devices. (Mac Mini will run Windows/OS X)

So far the only two choices are E-MU 0202 USB and 0404 USB.

Or do you guys think I should just so optical/coax to my receiver - an old Onkyo TX-DS777?
 
Go with the EMU 0404 USB. It's usable with Windows and Mac, so you can use it with several machines. I use mine both at home with my main system and Eee PC mobile studio setup. Then you could sell your 0404 PCI to recoup some $ and end up on top. Win-win.
 
Hey plinko, do you use the 0404 USB as an amp for your k240 and SR80? If so how is it?
 
Yes, I sometimes use it as a headphone amp. It's good enough and better than not amping my phones at all. Most of the time, I plug the Sextetts into my Pioneer SX-850 receiver and it sounds better than the 0404 USB's headphone amp. Overall, I'd say it's a decent headphone amp. You need to realize all that it's capable of, and know that it's not strictly a headphone amp. I'd say the headphone amp portion is the biggest "compromise" in the unit, but really isn't a huge one at that.
 
Thanks for your input plinko. I decided that I'll probably end up using optical/coax for now, as the DAC in the receiver isn't too bad.
 
Back
Top