E-mail hosting questions

s|acker-x

n00b
OK, right now my company has some crappy hosting for our website and our e-mail. My boss approached me and told me we're losing a lot of e-mails and being that they're orders I need to get this changed quickly. We're also in the process of getting our Exchange server upgraded and in the near future we're going to start hosting our e-mail ourselves.

In the time between now and when we get the exchange server up we're going to need our web host to provide us with e-mail, pop3 preferred, and then in the future we'll just want them to configure their mail server to just queue the messages for us until our server comes back and then start sending the messages back to us. I was wondering if any of you knew of a host that would be able to provide us with the pop3 and then let us switch over to having them just provide queuing for us.

Thanks and ask anything else you need.

i use networksolutions.com. they can host your WWW and pop3 and DNS. then when you have yoru exchange up adn running they will simply forward all your mail to your exchange. they hold mail for up to 72 hours incase your exchange ever goes down

Personally I would just focus on getting exchange running as soon as possible. Before my work went to exchange we used serveral different POP3 providers and we had similar problems all the time, including e-mails showing up 6-8 hours after the fact, not showing up, etc. We had also used Network Solutions, and frankly they were no better. My favorite one was when their server was bouncing back all e-mails sent to us by a specific customer. Their typical reply is: "Oh we'll have engineering look into and call you back withen 3 business days" and sure as heck they never called back but sent an e-mail that was basically saying "Your e-mail box is working properly, case closed". Until we changed to Exchange I had the customer send e-mails to mailbox setup on my home Exchange server that was auto-forwarded to their sales rep's work e-mail.

Heck I'd run my own POP3/SMTP server before I went back to using hosted POP3.

Believe you me I want to get exchange up and running but its a matter of having the time and also getting the other office to send things over is proving to be a pain in the butt. This also compounded with me just starting with the company a month ago. I just want us to get off this crappy po-dunk e-mail that we have currently.

any serious host is gogin to do what you need. heck check with your ISP. in once case they hosted our DNS and pop3 and we simply used an alias that pointed to their DNS server. either of these two solutions that i offered you could have working in under 1 hour.

But to be honest setting up exchange does not take more than that if you have a box it can go on.

Back