E-mail changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malikman

[H]ard|Gawd
hey i couldn't find an e-mail to e-mail the administrators to so then i thougth maybe a lot of people have this problem.

Well i'm tryign to change my main e-mail on hardforum to another e-mail (gmail) and my current e0mail is gmail as well when i go to change it it says i can't becuse they don't accept yaoho hotmail type of e-mails or such thing.

Is there a way to fix this bbecuase i need to change my e-mail and i don't understand why it doesn't accept gmail considering my old e-mail is gmail as well.

Gmail was filtered due to registration abuse. Once you change an existing Gmail account in your profile, you are SOL. You will have to come up with an ISP based email account.

SOL ... i have one but i don't look atit... EVER .... can't i talkt o adminstrators and have them change it manually??

I subscribed with my mom's e-mail address. Which sucks because for trades e-mail notifications, I can't recieve the mail. It would be great if I could use my own e-mail address but since its against forum rules I guess I'm SOL.

You need to find an email address that you can receive communications from the Admins if needed. This is part of the rules agreed upon when joining the forum. If by chance you have to be contacted and either a bounced email or no answer would probably result in account closings. Just a heads up on the procedures. I will be happy to help if anyone wants to PM me for details.

I didn't realize that I guess, I thought it just needed to be valid so that you didn't get spammed. Where do you suggest getting an e-mail address that is accepted?

Is it possible that there could be a way to set-up an "apply for an email exception" type of system?

That way a person who has been arround for a minimum amount of time (maybe one year) and contributed a minimum number of posts could apply to have their email address changed to one by a free service provider. Their "stats" would be checked and they would be allowed to have their address changed if they met the minimum requirements.

This would be nice for me, as my current forum address is my college email address. At the end of this semester I'll have my BME degree and that address will go away. I'd like to be able to switch that address to my gmail address instead of trying come up with a "real" ISP.

I can't imagine that I'm the only one in this type of a situation, so an "apply for an email exception" system would allow those of us who have proven over time that we are responseble contributors to have the email address of our choice.

From a FS/FT point of view i do see a problem with that,( i know not everyone uses the FS forum, but a lot do and have the option at will to aswell) if someone changes their email account from a non free account to a free email, that would just make it easier for trolls and rippers. It doesnt matter how long your here or how many posts you have, theres been members that have had thousands of posts and been here for years that have pulled stuff. I dont think time/activities here should be an indicator of future good faith

Its easy enough now to get an email address that is allowed here, why make it easier?

(yes, members should take it upon themself for refs and such but why make it easier for someone to get away with it)

pj-schmidt said:
Is it possible that there could be a way to set-up an "apply for an email exception" type of system?
That's right up there with "can you change my nick for me?" Do you know how much of a feeding frenzy expecting the admins to make manual changes and exceptions would cause if we just said, "sure, no problem, I'll get right on it"?

I realize you are "special". You and 59K other members here. ;)

It'd be nice if vBulletin could be modified to allow GM subscribers an exception to the rule. The spirit of the rule is to prevent creation of throwaway accounts used for trolling, spamming, etc, which are typically not things that paying subscribers do.

always wondered why its so hard for some peeps to get a hosting service. I have a domain for myself and the wife . we get a zillion + or - 1 email addys tons of web space tons of storage for about 43 dollars a year .. its not that hard. nor expensive. when I post a pic in the forums its on my site never a need to worry about imageshack or other sites loosing my pics.

I wholeheartedly agree with the abova poster.

You can get hosting for $40 a year. All you gotta do is sign up for it, then that's that.

You get a million e-mail addys, and you never have to worry about bandwidth :)

i don't if vbull can do this or not, but it'd be nice if you could specify 2 e-mails...one for registration & admins that has to be verified and non-free, then one for general usage (like pm & update notifications) that can be whatever you want.

just a thought

Nope, it's a 1 or a 0 nothing in between. It's a universal setting for the filter and you can't override it. You are just going to have to come up with a working email address ;)

but i don't u ynderstand .... i registered with a gmail account so how comes i can't switch o er to another gmail or did i register after this rule came in place?

Since you registered legally with a gmail account when it was allowed, you are grandfathered in on the original account. Once you make any change to your profile, the system picks up the gmail account and blocks your account until you provide a non-filtered email address.

flynlr said:
always wondered why its so hard for some peeps to get a hosting service. I have a domain for myself and the wife . we get a zillion + or - 1 email addys tons of web space tons of storage for about 43 dollars a year .. its not that hard. nor expensive. when I post a pic in the forums its on my site never a need to worry about imageshack or other sites loosing my pics.
Yeah, but not everyone wants to buy a domain just for the [H]

M11 said:
Yeah, but not everyone wants to buy a domain just for the [H]
What's sad is that I've figured out that if you register a domain for $9 and buy GoDaddy's 1-year e-mail package for $20, that's a whole lot less money than an AOL account or something. Webhosting on top of that is $4 a month for 5 gigs space. :)

Before this turns into a discussion of email hosting, I think the answer is clear at this point. Gmail , Hotmail or Yahoo domains won't cut it and you need to have an alternate source to supply your email needs to continue to hold membership here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back