• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E-300 or Rebel XT?

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
5,269
Which do you guys prefer (price plays some effect but not enough to make me shy away from the better of the two?
 
You also have to look at lenses with this type of decision. I myself would go with the XT.
 
I would go with the XT for the superior image quality and wider selection of lenses/more affordable lenses.
 
yeah, definitly the rebel XT because of the range of lenses/accesroeis. Unless, of course, you have a load of compatible lenses already....
 
Actually, this is going to be my first Digital SLR. The images quality, how big of a difference is it it, a 5% difference or enough for someone to say, "geez, this looks like cat crap?"
 
I don't know much at all about the E-300, but I'd put money on the bodies are close enough, it's what lenses you put on them that packs the punch. The 300d I have can take 'ok' pictures with the kit lens. Where as professional grade L glass can take amazing pictures with the same body.

Don't go by paper numbers, try them both out. One will have a better 'feel' to you. Take some sample pictures, see which ones pop out more to you.

Basically just don't cheap out on lenses and you'll be fine either way. (I can't really talk, I'm about to buy a $115 sigma 55-200 hah) :p
 
Emberghost said:
I don't know much at all about the E-300, but I'd put money on the bodies are close enough, it's what lenses you put on them that packs the punch. The 300d I have can take 'ok' pictures with the kit lens. Where as professional grade L glass can take amazing pictures with the same body.

Don't go by paper numbers, try them both out. One will have a better 'feel' to you. Take some sample pictures, see which ones pop out more to you.

Basically just don't cheap out on lenses and you'll be fine either way. (I can't really talk, I'm about to buy a $115 sigma 55-200 hah) :p

Eh, don't buy that lens! look around and spend 140 or so on a 70-210 f4 or a 70-210 f3.5-4.5 USM.
 
clockworks said:
Actually, this is going to be my first Digital SLR. The images quality, how big of a difference is it it, a 5% difference or enough for someone to say, "geez, this looks like cat crap?"
There are a lot of great samples from the E-300 here and some similar samples from the Rebel here (if that's the right model). I think the samples are very comparable. DPReview's conclusion was very favorable.

The major thing to worry about with the Olympus is that it uses their own lens system (the "Four Thirds" system). While there is a decent selection of lenses, there isn't a lot of competition, which means fewer choices and probably somewhat higher prices. On the plus side, a 4/3 lens with properties comparable to a typical Canon lens will be substantially smaller. Smaller means less raw material means somewhat lower prices. I think the factors do balance each other fairly well in the end.
 
I have never used the Olympus model, but I do own the XT and a couple of lenses and I am more than pleased. Coming from a film SLR to the digital SLR, I couldn't be more happy with my choice (unless, of course, I had the bucks for a 1dsMkII)
 
I'd probably have to go with the XT too because of lenses and accesory selection. Though I am a Nikon user, not Canon. :D

And not all cheap lenses are bad either, 50 mm 1.8 lenses are generally very inexpensive and are great in terms of image quality (though build quality usually is lacking).
 
It seems that the Rebel XT is the favorable camera and has a better backing to it. I guess that the XT wins another customer.

Thanks everyone for their input.
 
ToddW2 said:
I just got the Xt a couple weeks ago... awesome! :) I`d buy it again.

I am looking for a second XT body (preferably a used, cheap deal) so I can have more than one lens mounted when I go places.
 
Back
Top