DynDNS

smdion

Limp Gawd
Just updated my old trustworthy WRT54G to a D-Link DIR655. I have Sickbeard/Utor/SABnzbd all running on my server and the bookmarks are to my DynDNS domain name with ports. Before the router switch, I could use http://domainname:8081 both internally and externally to access these pages. After the router switch and putting back my port forwards I'm only able to access DYNDNS host name externally. Any ideas on how to have the LAN side of my router use the DYNDNS domain so I don't need two shortcuts (one for home and one for away)?

EDIT: I can ping my DynDNS address from any host with out issues, just seems its a problem routing back in the traffic to those specific ports.

Last edited:
are you running stock firmware on you router? Or are you using a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT / Tomato / etc. ?

**edit** looks like the DIR-655 uses ubicom which isn't supported. Was your old WRT running stock firmware?

Nothing against stock firmware, but I've had nothing but bad luck when it comes to home office class equipment and their bad / poorly written firmware.

All my routers / access points / and repeaters run DD-WRT (or other 3rd party firmware).

I was in a similar position you are currently in with ports not properly forwarding on router I was working on / setting up for a friend. Once I pulled the stock firmware off it was fine.

If the WRT54G worked but the 655 doesn't I'm going to lean towards a configuration setting issue, and or more specifically a bad implementation and design of their firmware on the 655.

If you had to, you could go down to a brick + mortar store (BB / Office Max / etc.) and try out a router that is supported with Tomoato. Again, I think the DDNS issue is due to your DIR655 being difficult.

Let me know if you need help or want a suggestion or two on good 3rd party firmware routers =)

**edit**

Just took a look on google, looks like you are not alone in this battle - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DIR655+ddns .

Again, I think the DDNS issue is due to your DIR655 being difficult.
Just took a look on google, looks like you are not alone in this battle - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DIR655+ddns .

Actually, it appears his DynDNS is working fine.....in his original post, he states that he CAN access his page fine from external sources. It's not working from the inside...out...and back in again.

2 things I'd look at:
Either the router doesn't support loopback, or perhaps the routers web admin page somehow conflicts with his web servers port 8081 and also related to loopback.

It's loopback (NAT Redirection). There's nothing wrong with the DNS (there never is).

Stonecat's got it.

Actually, it appears his DynDNS is working fine.....in his original post, he states that he CAN access his page fine from external sources. It's not working from the inside...out...and back in again.

2 things I'd look at:
Either the router doesn't support loopback, or perhaps the routers web admin page somehow conflicts with his web servers port 8081 and also related to loopback.

I have things at 5000, 8081, 8082, 8083. I tried turning on External Access and that did work on port 9000. Must not support loopback... bummer. And yes. The problem isn't DynDNS connecting, that is fine. I'll try doing some searches on NAT Loopback/Redirection... just didn't know what to search for. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Feel like puppy with his tail between his legs. Loopback is not enabled via Port Forwarding Page. You need to use the "VIRTUAL SERVER" forwarding page to have loopback. Thanks for those keywords, came up nice and quick.

Last edited:
Back