Dynamic IP cable internet - how do I get a new IP?

DellAxim

Gawd
I have a cable internet connection, with a dynamic IP address. What has to happen for that IP address to change? I know it's been the same for at least several months...

Basically someone else has to get your ip address. This means you have to give it up for a while(may be a day, may be a couple weeks). This doesn't always work, either. The cable company's dhcp server probably ties your cable modem's ip address to its mac address in some way, and therefore it is unlikely that you will get a new ip address unless the cable company changes things around. Why do you want a different ip address? Most people do not want them to change.

edit: releasing and renewing like xipher says usually does not work. Leaving the cable modem off for a while might work.

Yeah, like jpmkm said, leave your modem off for a while. I'm not sure who your provider is, but for instance, Adelphia says to leave your modem unpugged for 24 hours to get a new IP.

jpmkm said:
Why do you want a different ip address? Most people do not want them to change.
10-to-1 he got IP-banned somewhere.

As noted, though, having your modem offline for a while is the best DIY method. You might also call the cable company and see if they can force it to take a new IP, particularly if they tie it to MAC address.

common trick:

just change the wan mac address in the router.

DCHP leases are bound to mac.
if you're quick, you can even change it back and get your old IP.

Yes, my IP was banned somewhere. I said something the dumbass administrator on another forum didn't like, and he banned me. After he couldn't come up with a reason why I was banned, and I showed him the part of his rules that basically say "you will not be banned unless you commit a major violation of these rules", he deleted my username and called it a software problem. He says I'm free to sign up again, but my email address and IP are still banned, which of course is also part of the "software problem". :rolleyes:

#1. Change nic's or add a nic (different Mac adderss)
#2. Go thru a router
#3. Change the WAN mac like someone suggested above in the NIC.
#4. There is MAC address modifying software out there somewhere that will work,

Back