Dynamic DNS service?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good dynamic DNS service?

Back in the day I used dynu.com until they just disappeared one day.

Since then I had a subdomain via "dnsdojo.com" which was one of the free domains offered via dyndns.com when I signed up. It was free, except once a month they send you an email and if you don't click the link in the email your account is marked as inactive and deleted soon after. I never figured that would be an issue as I check my email very frequently ever since I got a droid.

Well one of the renewal emails got sent to my spam folder somehow (which means my phone never notified me I got that email) and my account was deleted. I made a new account but "dnsdojo.com" is no longer listed as one of the free domains. It's listed as one of the available "pro" domains. So it seems pretty obvious I fell into their little trap and now have to pay them either monthly or yearly to use the domain I had before. But paying money to some shit company isn't in the cards.

I'd love to find a reliable free dynamic DNS service that works without the constant threat of your account being deleted.

Or, if I must use a pay service, preferably something better than dynDNS that doesn't come with that con-job aftertaste.

I dunno, I use dyndns don't have any issues.

You use free services at their whim. If you want any sort of stability, paid for services are the way to go.

I still use Dyndns.org. They only disable your account if you don't update your dyndns hostname after 30 days. So configure whatever device you use dynamic dns with, to hit their servers at least once per month. Dyn allows up to 3 hostnames for free. Dyn compatibility is built into most home consumer routers. The paid version is pretty damn cheap btw, at $15.00 per yr or $1.99 per month and it allows up to 30 hostnames, plus a bunch of other options.

freedns.afraid.org is what i use. Haven't had any problems using my TLD domain.

I have it hooked into pfsense. Works like a charm :)

I still use Dyndns.org. They only disable your account if you don't update your dyndns hostname after 30 days. So configure whatever device you use dynamic dns with, to hit their servers at least once per month. Dyn allows up to 3 hostnames for free. Dyn compatibility is built into most home consumer routers. The paid version is pretty damn cheap btw, at $15.00 per yr or $1.99 per month and it allows up to 30 hostnames, plus a bunch of other options.

I would have considered paying for dyndns, but feeling conned by them makes me want to avoid them at all costs. They send out emails and if you don't respond to them within 5 days your account is deleted. The reason I never responded to the last email was because it got caught in my spam folder. The reason it got caught in my spam folder was because they changed their emails and now have some funky BS going on with the domain they sent it from which caused Gmail to flag it as a phishing email. They offer zero support whatsoever to their free users, but if you look on their "community forum" I'm hardly the only one who had this issue. I'm sure they aren't shedding any tears that a bunch of former free users now no longer have any choice but to pay to continue using their old domain.

The reason I don't have automatic updates configured is because of my WAN setup. I have a business comcast connection and the modem they provide is a modem/router combo unit. When used in conjunction with what they call a dynamic IP, there is no way to disable the internal NAT. The best I could do was to disable all advanced features, set a DMZ, and have my real router behind it (monowall). That works fine, but it also means that any router behind it is getting a private IP from the comcast modem/router for it's WAN address, and that private IP is what it would try to update as my dyndns host IP because that is all it sees. I would need something that was smart enough to actually detect my internet IP and not assume it's identical to the IP on the WAN end of that particular router.

Also, another side effect of my Comcast connection is that despite the fact that I have a "dynamic" IP, it hasn't changed in nearly 2 years. There is simply no reason for me to update it on a regular basis - although I want to be able to update it if/when I need to.

The DLink service looks interesting. It's lame that it's still based on dyndns, but if it's free and I don't have to worry about my account being deleted every 30 days, it should be good enough.

Back