Dynamic DNS Issues

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
For the past couple weeks now, we been having issues with some of our VM hosts missing DNS entries. There Server 2008 R2 Hyper V servers and SCVMM is loosing connectivity to them between 5PM and 9PM. What I discovered the DNS A record is missing as it expires in this time frame and it seems like it doesnt get renewed until sometime after the 9PM period.

There static IP'd servers. Does anyone know why the hosts are not updating the DNS record in time before they expire and disappear? Far as I understand it, the DHCP client is responsible for the Dynamic DNS updates and if you are static IP'd, as long as the service is running, it work...which it is.

Well I just discovered our scavenging cycle happens at 5:00PM...hmm now the question is, why are these being marked to be scavenged.

I was reading the following a week or two ago- maybe it helps? If nothing else, the guy has some pretty cool articles.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2013/06/14/hyper-v-replica-and-name-resolution.aspx

I figured it out once I narrowed it down to the scavenging process. Somehow the no-retry and retry intervals got out of whack. Should be good now. Basically it got changed to a no-retry of 1 hour and a retry of 2 hours....dont know how that happened.

Back