Dying video card or multiple bad cables?

so, im thinking the hdmi port is on its way out? or at least something in the card is on its way out.

current setup - Audio and Video are through HDMI
gtx 980 > AV Receiver > ARC Port > TVs ARC all running hdmi 2.0

ive tried 3x hdmi cables, 1 was brand new (passes hdcp 2.2 on my ps4)
ive bypassed my receiver and went directly to the tv, and i used 2x different ports on the tv.

video of the problem in action, sorry for the shit quality... its the best my old camera can do.

as you can see, the video is dropping all the time, but the audio is never cutting out, which tells me its not the hdmi cables (and after 3 of them, its very unlikely its the cables that have all gone bad)
also to note, this only happens when the card is underload (ive cleaned the card and case. cards maxing out at 79c which is normal for me) its never happened on the desktop.

and when i switched cables once, i was getting this, an all pink checkerboard screen, rather than a black screen.
ahgHaNC.jpg

Last edited:
You can try a passive DVI to HDMI converter to see if that works better. People have told me that the DVI port on Maxwell-onward can handle HDMI 2 speeds if an adapter is connected. Or even if it doesn't work, you can still feed your TV 1080p and see if the problem goes away.

If this issue persists, it means you've tried multiple ports and multiple cables. That points the finger straight at the card.

the cards back up working fine right now. i sat the computer on its side while moving it to another room and it fixed the issue. "micro" reseating it was all it took.

i had already opened an RMA for the card, EVGA agreed with my feelings on the card, just use it until it breaks again, if it breaks again.

sounds really similar to the issues i'm having with my current monitors but i believe my problem is related to issues with the shitty power supply and lack of proper grounding in my city. most people in my area have suggested getting a ups so i'm seeing if that fixes my problem. but if your fix works i may have to try reseating everything in my system, pretty much the only thing i haven't done at this point. mine is really random though it could go a week or more with no issues then sometimes every 5 seconds my displays would flicker/restart then be fine again 30-40 minutes later.

hopefully your fix works for you and you don't end up having to RMA.

Back