Dying PSU low 5v rail

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
2,854
Hey all,

at desktop my 5v rail is @ 4.7v and under load rops to 4.65v.
Its a 850W EVGA Supernova G6

My rig is in my sig.

Should I be concerned?
 
if it droops much lower it will start tripping the under voltage protection. it shouldnt droop below 4.75ish. have you tested it with a multimeter on the hdd cable?
 
Here is the screenshot from HWMonitor. I also checked the readings in the bios and they are the same.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4340.jpg
    IMG_4340.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks guys. Will do. Any reccomendations? I was thinking of moving up to a 1000w unit.
Im not sure I registered it, anyone now if EVGA will rma it?
 
Last edited:
That PSU is done, your 3.3 line is also too low. I bet it hits 3.1v or lower.
 
Were you having any issues? A lot of motherboards fail to report those voltages accurately, at least that used to be the case. You could verify them with a multimeter measuring off a molex connector for the 5v. But sounds like this is moot.
 
Personally wouldn't trust motherboard readings without verifying it with a multimeter. The reason your bios and HWMonitor read the same values is because HWMonitor literally reads what the bios is reading, so verifying with bios readings is meaningless.

In any case, good to see that the voltages are much tighter now, not to mention being in spec. Good luck on the EVGA warranty, I'm surprised they're still limping along.
 
Which of the previous 15 posts do you disagree with?
I have no problem using software readings for 12v, 5v, and 3.3v. They are good enough to see if you have a problem.

Edit:

Since this is my 3rd post in this thread I wouldn't be disagreeing with myself.
 
Back
Top