Dying Dell E1705

caw2007

[H]ard|Gawd
My Dell overheated massively Wednesday night and hasn't been the same since. Boots intermittently, Windows runs but then slows wwaaaaaaayyyyyy down. I've narrowed it down to the motherboard and bought a replacement. Has anyone else gone through this? If so, if you could shed light of the cause of similar symptoms or things I need to watch out for during replacement I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I have not, but these things are pretty easy to take apart. Get the service manual from Dell's site.

DELL E1705 died last week. My problem was 7900GS video card inside fried. Research the issue, it's quite common. You will be able to see an image on your LCD (not in my case, NOTHING) in safe mode or at POST before drivers are loaded sometimes. I was only able to get an image via the external VGA connector and only in safe mode with a few artifacts at post.

Of course my E1705's laptop doesn't have integrated graphics. My options are to scour the internet for the much slower yet cooler running ATI X1400 (or buy one from DELL for $280 - ROBBERY), try to replace the 7900GS which from various reads I've found they do not offer any longer, or submit to the fact that I now have a $1600 door stop.

Good luck to you. Too many people have had their E1705/9400 notebooks fail on them and the general consensus from my research shows many of them are SOL. Dude, you got a DELL.

The E1705 wasn't a great laptop. Single-piping a 7900GS (and the alternative X1400) led to plenty of burnouts; believe me, I owned one. The all-too-famous NMI Memory Parity error still give me nightmares. :rolleyes:

Back