• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

DX9 - Worth the upgrade?

Rivethead

n00b
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
34
OK... I'm still running on a Ti4200 (128) which is a DX8 card, and am ready to install HL2 & D3. My machine is an AMD 2600 with 512 on Win2K.

What can I really expect? I've got a few bucks I can spend, maybe $100 or so, and am wondering if stepping up to a card with DX9 support is worth the cost. If yes, then what flavor? I see prices on all sorts of cards up to $500, which is totally insane. Is there a link to somewhere that has a review of DX9 cards?

Or, am I just totally off the mark and should save my money?

Thanks for any suggestions........
 
If you get a dx9 card don't get anything below a 9800 or a 5950 imo. In hl2 the fx series runs in dx8 anyways.
 
Nothing under $100 that is going to be noticably better than what you have now. If you can go up to $150, you coudl get a Radeon 9600XT which would be somewhat better than your GF4, but I'm not sure if I'd call it $150 better. You're looking at closer to $200 (or more) to pick up a Radeon 9800 or X800 or GeForce FX 5900/5950, 6600GT or 6800 - the only cards that would really make a, IMHO, worthwhile upgrade from the card you have.
 
There's a ton of people buying 2nd-gen DX9 hardware, and I'm sure some of them are replacing 1st-gen DX9 hardware. Find a used Radeon 9700 or 9800 in the trading forum for $75-100 or so and call it a day.
 
a refurbished 9700pro for 120-130 if u can find them.....
 
Back
Top