DX11 stress testing

So I've been having a ton of problems with CoD Ghosts crashing. I know some of the instability is related to the game, however I think that I narrowed part of it down to being my gpu, as i disabled the overclock completely and was able to play for much longer. I started testing in OCCT using the error detection and at the core speed I was at I got an error after like 5 minutes. So I knocked it back and ran the test again and it seems to be stable so far. I plan on running it for a few hours tomorrow to be sure.

So I guess this leads me to my question, what sorts of programs do you guys use for gpu stress testing? I have furmark, uniengine, 3dmark, occt, and wprime and hci memtest for system testing. I dont trust furmark because i had to back off my oc 20-30mhz or so to be stable, and just as much on the memory as well. Basically it seems to me that Ghosts is one of those games that has to be Folding stable in order to not crash. I've got no problem with that, i just wanted to know what other people use. Thanks

Ghost is an awful port as its very poorly optimized and should only need a machine from 2010 to run max settings based on the graphics. I doubt its your card, but did you try any other more demanding games?

Not sure if this is helpful but I remember that back in ~2010, fur and occt stable vram clocks still crashed battlefield 3 with the gtx460. I find bioshock infinite heats up my graphics card more than any other game (including unengine), the video card options screen being especially punishing. I plan on using this and probably battlefield 4 to validate the OC on my new 770.

I use aida64 burn-in to warm up the gpu.

And this little program to test vram. Been a while since I last used it, but should still work.

Ghost is an awful port as its very poorly optimized and should only need a machine from 2010 to run max settings based on the graphics. I doubt its your card, but did you try any other more demanding games?

I wont argue with that, but with HBAO on it actually puts a decent load on my gpu. Their texture streaming method sucks though, if i put them up too high it thrashes my hard drive and becomes a stuttery mess. I'll add my rig to my signature, keep forgetting to do stuff like that.

I'll try out some of your guys' suggestions, I also do have Bioshock Infinite, just havent installed it on my main pc (got it on my laptop when i was in the hospital). That video memory stress test should be great as well, its hard to find a good program for that.

Last edited:
3Dmark vantage and Valley 1.0 have been the best for me at detecting marginal stability on my overclocks. Valley is free, so it is worth a try. Still unigine engine but it is more touchy than Heaven in my experience.

3Dmark vantage and Valley 1.0 have been the best for me at detecting marginal stability on my overclocks. Valley is free, so it is worth a try. Still unigine engine but it is more touchy than Heaven in my experience.
completely agree on both of these. Back in the day it was 3dmark 03 and it even crashed cpu overclocks quicker than prime. I used to make sure it would pass before touching prime. I love how valley will sometimes wait until the final test to crash sometimes.

completely agree on both of these. Back in the day it was 3dmark 03 and it even crashed cpu overclocks quicker than prime. I used to make sure it would pass before touching prime. I love how valley will sometimes wait until the final test to crash sometimes.

Getting valley right now as well, thanks. Gonna make sure there are 0 errors in anything before I call it stable, the way that this game is. Its still not gonna eliminate all of the crashes, as I still got a crash stock after awhile due to bugs.

Well as far as any program i've tried, the OC is stable. I think the game or something itself is unstable. It crashes my display driver a lot. From what i'm reading its Ghost's problem, because I can run any benchmark for any length of time and it's stable. I ran linpack for an hour and it was fine, OCCT psu test for half an hour, cpu test for an hour, gpu artifact check, and both 3dmark, heaven, and valley with no issue. it's ONLY Ghosts. Initially i did get a single error in the OCCT GPU test, but i bumped the core back 5mhz and it was fine.

For the time being i'm gonna run the core speed at 975 on the app profile for that game until someone fixes it.

In my opinion, the best test for a stable overclock is simply playing games. The benchmark/burn in programs that have been mentioned in the thread do not use the GPU in the same way that an actual game does - you can run all of them in the world stable for years and still crash every single game in your library at those settings. If you continue to have problems at stock, then you've likely got a problem with the GPU that you'd want to consult your card's manufacturer about...

It would help if you mentioned which card you have....

In my opinion, the best test for a stable overclock is simply playing games. The benchmark/burn in programs that have been mentioned in the thread do not use the GPU in the same way that an actual game does - you can run all of them in the world stable for years and still crash every single game in your library at those settings. If you continue to have problems at stock, then you've likely got a problem with the GPU that you'd want to consult your card's manufacturer about...

It would help if you mentioned which card you have....

I added it to my sig. it's an HIS HD6850 1gb.

Back